• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Another spread of first class, inspirational fieldwork. I am now, ahem, trying to work this way myself! When just a few lines say loads more than five hundred, then this must surely be the way to go. But when whitethroats pose like this chappy, then the boots can be filled with a bit of detail. Already seeking out passerines, and these shall spur me on even more.
Garganey is very well rendered too. Don't know how I'd go on faced with that stonking eye crescent screaming at me, though!

Russ

just some recent works - all done rapidly because I'm supposed to be illustrating still (nearly finished - then sod reason, I'm getting me a new scope with the money - rent can wait!)

Attachments

• first cuckoo.JPG
    first cuckoo.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 75
  • dusk cuckoo.JPG
    dusk cuckoo.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 66
  • yellow wag.JPG
    yellow wag.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 79
  • wood sands.JPG
    wood sands.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 63
  • curlew display.JPG
    curlew display.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 69
some more - I think some of these ideas need to be revisited - I've got a wood sandpiper collage in the brain at the moment (with maybe a greenshank in there)

Attachments

• fun wood sands.JPG
    fun wood sands.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 67
  • garganey.JPG
    garganey.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 80
  • green sands.JPG
    green sands.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 65
  • greenshanks wood sands and ruff.JPG
    greenshanks wood sands and ruff.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 98
  • jack snipe.JPG
    jack snipe.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 87
and two of my favourites - ;)

Attachments

• shoveller agression.JPG
    shoveller agression.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 98
  • sod it just paint it.JPG
    sod it just paint it.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 80
That's a nice crop of pics to look at on a Sunday morning Nick....

My 'favs' are those two cuckoo's...love 'em...! This species is getting rare round my way....

ps...glad to see you have your priorities right re the new scope...;)

pps...I just bought a new scope...and the price was 'ouch'...:eek!:

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

Astonishing collection - just when I though you'd peaked, another summit appears. Only one way your work is headed, mate - stellar! Even though, I still can single out a couple of gleamers among the other gems; the waders in the tangles has that beautiful mix of line and colour - the Dr is smiling down. The woodsands in their different approaches are superb and the 'firmed up' version of the garganey et al is a vision of loveliness (the splat of yellow wag pings off the screen).
I'm not sure what to think about the end of the illustration work - it seems the discipline and professionalism has allowed a total release in your fine art - so here's to the next job!
And of course the new scope comes before the rent - that's why you send the frog out to work - surely!

For this morning's victims of plagiarism I choose Tim and Halftwo. What an awesome collection. They are so rich. I know I've said it before but it's true more than ever. Off hunting a Louisiana Waterthrush for my wife for Easter (I was lucky enough to see but not sketch it the other day so now it's her turn). Then back for more comments and enjoyment.

As Tim says you keep reaching new summits!! Just when we thought none were left.

Among other things we saw yesterday were a number of Northern Rough-winged Swallows flying over and under a bridge. The epitome of spring's exuberance in a way. But I decided that there was just no way to get that scene down on paper. Now I see that there is and that you've done it, even if the species aren't identical. I always love seeing this in your work: capturing an entire scene and experience. I can see why that's one of your favorites.

I really like all the others as well but for special note I'd choose a couple that Tim chose: esp. the waders in the tangles. One other thing I note is that I can go from one painting where I'm struck by something that is mainly light colors and then be just as impressed by the next that is manly dark, rich colors. Just an incredible collection of vibrant variety. And just as exciting today as yesterday!

Man oh Man. I'm on my HTC mobile viewing these and I'm blown away. I'm on a bus 40 miles south of Stockholm after a lovely day in the field viewing Derry magic. More latwr when I get home and boot up the poota...

Man oh Man. I'm on my HTC mobile viewing these and I'm blown away. I'm on a bus 40 miles south of Stockholm after a lovely day in the field viewing Derry magic. More latwr when I get home and boot up the poota...

Great to see these full screen, cant really add much to whats been siad except that all of it is phenomenal. The Yellow Wag piece is so clever, the birds colours deftly repeated through the picture, it really zings.
The compilation in greens and turqouises is a breathtaking scene, those coots are brilliant young man...
Special mention for the very first Cuckoo. That's all Derry and takes my breath away in its speedy execution, choice of pallette, it sings with sunlight, paintstrokes masterfully executed...on so many levels this has so much. Brilliance...

Last edited:
and two of my favourites - ;)

its taken a couple of goes to catch up with the spring rush on this thread

grabbed first as ever by the greens and yellows, but actually the russet duo from above [Greenshank and Jack Snipe] have stuck most firmly in my mind

then there's the rectangular forms in the shoveler/coot/swallow tapestry, with a bit of the Carry Akroyd to it I was thinking

what a treat

What an amazing treat to check back into this thread after too many days away and see such a great outpouring of wonderful work! Wow...

I was knocked sideways by this lot when they appeared, lively, unique, inspired and inspiring. The yellow wag and the shoveller, coot, swallow combo are definite standouts for me......

Especially the waggy.....

Yep, most especially the waggy!

Mike

So sorry I have been rather absent, I've been dipping rare birds and scarcities unseen by these eyes left right and centre - and doing lots of work (sadly for my employers rather than for me). Here are some of the things I've been working on recently - then I promise I'll try to find the time to catch up on all the threads very soon - I need my artistic fix!

It hasn't been all that bad - I did get the eagle owls, some nice wrynecks and there will be collared flycatchers to come - just not now - I'm off into the mountains to have a last look at our region's Lesser Spot Eagles - sadly, only the male has returned this year.

Attachments

• paintings may 2011 001.jpg
    paintings may 2011 001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 59
  • paintings may 2011 006.jpg
    paintings may 2011 006.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 65
  • paintings may 2011 008.jpg
    paintings may 2011 008.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 74
  • paintings may 2011 005.jpg
    paintings may 2011 005.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 73
and some fieldwork, done from the boot of the car on A2 paper. I may have to do something with the green woody next to a squeaky bird.

Attachments

• paintings may 2011 002.jpg
    paintings may 2011 002.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 62
  • paintings may 2011 003.jpg
    paintings may 2011 003.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 63
  • paintings may 2011 004.jpg
    paintings may 2011 004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back