• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia I (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
On a more cheerful note, some birds from our recent (end of March) trip to Malaysia. Sorry for the terrible pictures, we kinda do the nice ones ourselves now :) So who dares to tackle some Indomalayan challenges?!

1. Kuala Selangor - Mangrove reserve

2. Bukit Tinggi, NE of Kuala Lumpur ~850 m asl, sole picture of the bird

3. Fraser's Hill, again sole picture, could it be Buff-breasted Babbler?

4. and 5. Taman Negara, lowlands (Bumbun Kumbang), different birds. For 5 we discussed Moustached Babbler and Grey-chested Jungle-flycatcher, but neither fits perfectly.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 42
  • bMG_8111.JPG
    bMG_8111.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 37
  • fMG_0821.JPG
    fMG_0821.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 24
  • cMG_0945.JPG
    cMG_0945.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 36
  • &_8-mozna moustached babbler-001.jpg
    &_8-mozna moustached babbler-001.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 39
Not sure about any of these but:

1. Mangrove Whistler?
2. Plain Sunbird?
3. I think you're right with Buff-breasted Babbler
4. Large Cuckoo-shrike?
5. a very poorly-marked Cinereous Bulbul? - maybe an immature?

1. Golden-bellied Gerygone
5 Finsch's Bulbul?

Grahame

Right you are about the Gerygone. Rather obvious, but the rear view confused me, and I thought the yellow coloration was an optical effect. To think I saw one of these last month.

I see what you mean about the Bulbul but the colours are all wrong. The bill shape is better for Finsch's though.

Thanks to both!

For 1 we have reached the Gerygone conclusion in the meanwhile, it's pretty obvious actually, don't know how did we keep missing it.

2 - I can't find any good photos of Plain sunbird's rump, is it really this contrasty? If yes, it looks quite nice.

4 - I don't think this is Large Cuckooshrike, they have much bigger bill, we actually saw one.

5 - Finch's it is probably. The drawing in the book is really misleading, even some photos look confusing, but it's a lot about the bad light not making the yellow/greenish tones show.

Re no. 2, was the rump really yellow? I'm not sure I trust it, as the colour seems to have "bled" onto the tail a bit and looks almost superimposed onto the bird. I'm not sure the yellow face is reliable either. Did you get a good look at the bird? One species which has a broad black terminal band on the tail is Grey-breasted Spiderhunter - just sayin'.

Last edited:
We didn't get any good look sadly. It was just "look a bird" and then we managed to snap one photo, where the bird is in the very corner and that was the "observation" and we never found it again. I have put it up just because the marks seem to be somewhat prominent even on the blurry image, but I agree that judging the exact color is tricky - no. 5 in this very same thread is a great evidence of that :)

That clinches Rufous-winged Philentoma. Credit is due to Grahame Walbridge for the initial suggestion, before you posted this image.

now we think it might be a Lesser Cuckooshrike, we saw one 5 minutes before

Attachments

• lesser cuckooshrike.jpg
    lesser cuckooshrike.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 15
Yes, ooops, but remember we were working from a suboptimal image. We saw the second image and noted a smallish uniformly bluish-grey bird with quite a fine bill, and thought there was only one option. What I should have done before posting was to blow up and adjust the photo a little, as attached. When I did, you could just about make out the dark face and throat and dark flight feathers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 2.17.45 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 2.17.45 am.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 16
Yeah sorry 'bout that, working from suboptimal images is all we want from you people :) And I must say that the job that you do in that is absolutely mind-blowing.

To summarize, Malaysia was the most productive birding trip in terms of lifers we have ever done with 128 lifers, narrowly beating Peru by 5 species. In terms of all species seen it's third at 186 behind USA (199) and Peru (203) but both of those got double the time. In all cases, these (for us) staggering numbers were possible only because the kind folks on this forum helped us ID every single bird-looking smudge we got on any image!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back