• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds have that bit of extra magic for you? (3 Viewers)

senatore

The other day in a hide at a local patch when things were pretty slow someone asked the question "Which birds have that bit of extra magic for you?"

An interesting discussion followed which took our minds off the slow birding outside.If a bird has that bit of extra magic for you no matter how often you have seen them you are more than happy to see them again.

For me the birds are :-

Bittern

Waxwing

Hobby

What about you.

Max

Hi Max,

I get a big kick when I see stuff like Arctic Terns, Little Gulls, Curlew Sandpipers(Juvs) Hobby & also very close views of most birds.

ps, Siskins always give me that bit of magic, males & females & I love the calls & song. Same with Long Tailed Tits & Bee-eaters calls are pretty evocative also.

Last edited:
For me the birds that always give me that extra bit of magic are birds of prey. Any species even including the common Buzzard give me that extra special feeling.

Along with BOP's though Greater and Lesser spotted Woodpeckers also give me the extra bit of magic, both unbelievably good looking birds for me.

Better get out looking for them then :t:

Difficult to limit it to a few species! But I'd say:

Bonelli's Eagle

Golden Oriole

Pomarine Skua

Penduline Tit

Hawfinch

to name a few... :t:

Jan

Surprising how many of the folk in the posts above get a thrill from the same species as me :king:

Swift

Kingfisher

Peregrine Falcon o:)

Raven

Whooper Swan

Egrets ~ little & great white

Bullfinch

Sure there's many more that aren't immediately springing to mind :smoke: The older I get the less I'm bothered about rare birds - the experience means more than the tick :t:

Where do you start really so many to choose from,but for me there's something very special about the sight and sound of Pinkfooted Geese.
Is there a more beautiful bird than a Barn Owl and the mysterious Woodcock deserves a mention and as others have said all birds of prey really especially Golden eagles.

In the UK its got to be :-
Geese ( Pinkfeet or Brents )
Waders ( any species, but Black-tailed Godwit and Greenshank are particular faves )

Worldwide :-
Pittas ( if you don't include them then you've got no soul ;) )
Trogons ( -"- )
Albatross's ( -"- )
Pterodroma Petrels ( Ooooooo. Nearly as good as beer B :) )

as well as waders and geese and BOP's and...............................

Chris

Raptors in general but the star for me is the -

Peregrine

also

Swift (all species)
Raven
Waxwing
Gannet

Siskin (my garden fav)

For me its got to be pink footed geese. What other sight can compair with the magic of thousands flighting off the sea at morning flight , or even better half seen shadows sliding across the face of a full moon heralded by just a magical single call.

Second choice would have to go to to wigeon. A drake in full winter plumage is amazing and coupled with that mystic whistle make them one of my best birds.

They may not be much to look at (though I find them beautiful in their plainess) but I could sit and listen to a Catbird for a long time before being bored by it.

Number 1: Little Egret:

I live near an egret roost and breeding colony and often watch at dusk as the egrets flock in. They are beautiful birds and the simplicity of their white plumage makes them stand out in the dusk. A V of egrets low over the water or egrets white against the darkening night sky then silhouetted as they cross the waxing moon for me are particularly special and relaxing sights at the end of a long day.

Second:
Firecrest - goldcrests are appealing and tame, and pretty special in themselves especially in winter when the woods are quiet, but firecrests have all this plus there is an extra magic about picking them from the goldcrests and admiring their stunning plumage.

Third and Fourth:
Redwing - the bird for me that always makes me think of cold sharp frosts and snow
Nightjar - for their wonderful churring so evocative of a warm evening and late spring and early summer.

For me its got to be pink footed geese. What other sight can compair with the magic of thousands flighting off the sea at morning flight , or even better half seen shadows sliding across the face of a full moon heralded by just a magical single call.

Second choice would have to go to to wigeon. A drake in full winter plumage is amazing and coupled with that mystic whistle make them one of my best birds.

A man after my own heart,couldnt have put it better:t:

All owls but barn owls are the ultimate.
All other birds of prey.
Swifts. Just magic.
Nightingale. Man! That song.
Nightjar. The weirdness of them fascinates me no end.
Big wader flocks at an estuary especially big flocks of high flying golden plover crowding a winter sky. Bliss!
A massive flock of starlings heading to a winter roost. Marvellous.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back