• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Swift Model (1 Viewer)

Screw it to the mount like most other binoculars Max. The little gold ball is spring loaded and will be pushed back inside the front end of the hinge.

OK, I've done some more testing today in sunshine (!) and they're even better. However, checking edge to edge they're not so good, but on the bright side, that's never worried me. What they'll be like for stargazing I'm still interested to see.
So, for birding, at least for certain situations, they have turned out to be a cracking pair of bins, in new condition, for £50.
I WILL update again when I've had them under the stars; just as a comparison.
Cheers
Max

Max,

Excuse me for joning in so late, but I had a terrible hard disk crash which cost me a considerable amount of archived pics, notes and data. Now that I'm on the air again, I feel much has been said already.
Your enthousiasm for the Swift SP 10x50 Ranger is, I think, good evidence of the general quality of the 1985 design change performed by Swift/Hyoshi on most of their binoculars. Note that the Red Dot or SP series (Mark 1 in the US) was Swift's second best or even third best quality level and yet still doing fine today. Having focussed my attention mostly on the wide angle variety (SPWA) I have to say that I don't have direct experience with any of the 4 SP's myself. What I have seen from the SPWA's however is that they are short eye relief models with a notable colour bias to the blue end of the spectrum, so I suspect the SP's are like that as well. If not, let us know please.
As said in previous posts the SP series was European, and that's correct, but there was a USA counterpart to your SP 10x50 too. It's called Ranger as well but in true US fashion carries the Mark 1 sign and a model number (sadly I don't know which) while the lettering is in red just like the small red band 'round the objective tubes. See the pics attached.

Renze

Attachments

• Ranger MKI 10x50 (2a).jpg
    Ranger MKI 10x50 (2a).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Ranger MKI 10x50 (2b).jpg
    Ranger MKI 10x50 (2b).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Ranger MKI 10x50 (2c).jpg
    Ranger MKI 10x50 (2c).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Ranger MKI 10x50 (2d).jpg
    Ranger MKI 10x50 (2d).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 188
another Swift Saratoga, 1961

Richt,

Thanks for continuing the thread. As fate would have it there is an 8x42 Saratoga on eBay right now and I'll bet you can get it for a lot less than your dealer quoted: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7616860559&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

As Renze pointed out, Europeans were presented with a different Swift lineup than Americans, with only partially overlapping models. In this instance the Saratoga shares the same classic blue ribbon and construction as the Type 3 Audubon. Being a Mk II it would have a 5-element Erlfe eyepiece and fully coated (FC) optics, without multi-coating. The American Mk II series corresponds to Type 2 Audubon construction. My 1980 catalog showns seven models including the Audubon, and I own a Commodore 7x50 with 505 ft. FOV. Americans were also offered a Mk I "Nighthawk" 8x40WA with a 499 ft. field. Given the wide FOV it probably also used a 5-element eyepiece.

What strikes me about all the older Swift models of is how beefy and well made they are. Reiterating what Renze said, they are of "exceptional quality," and probably never to be made again. I've been extremely fortunate to buy five different models on eBay, all in near perfect condition. My oldest Type 1c Audubon arrived covered with dust from the glue that had totally deteriorated inside the leather case after 40+ years; but a blower removed all the dust and a single drop of gun oil restored the focus control to butter smooth. I think they used bronze sleeve bearings. The optics on each model are really outstanding, and it's so easy to become addicted to the wide-angle view. Please let us know if you pick up the 8x42 Saratoga.

Regards,
ED

Hi Ed,
Joining in on this thread a bit late. I recently acquired a used Swift 8x40 Saratoga, with a serial number indicating manufacture date of 1961. This bino looks like it was only used a couple times, and stored safely away. The eyepiece protection rings unscrew supersmooth, and appears to have been never touched, there is still a light coat of clean oil underneath.
Phil

Attachments

• Swift Saratoga 8x40.jpg
    Swift Saratoga 8x40.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 131
Phil,

Nice find, certainly in this condition. The Saratoga's were a mainstay in Swift's range of binoculars, running from the 1950's into the 1990's. They should be counted to Swift's upper class range (Mark II, or blue ribbon or blue badge) although I've seen one type designated Mark I (by mistake I guess). Speaking of types, I've seen 9 of them so far, differing in FoV, coating, small or large focus wheels etc. Your type, fully coated already but still with a small focus wheel, belongs to the first part of the 1960's. Its 7 deg. angle of view was increased in later types to 7.5, at one point even to 9.3 and in the last editions to a more down-to-earth 8.3 degrees.

Renze

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back