• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Windows Defender" questions.........I need help!! (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
A "new" icon/image type thingy has appeared at the bottom of my screen (adjacent to the battery/sound/wifi/ icons) and looks like a grey castle.
When I hover my cursor it says "Windows Defender" and if I click on it it gives me just 2 options a) open b) exit.

I have "googled" it and I understaned it is a standard part of windows and acts a anti-spyware.
So............I am worried!

1) Why have I never seen it before ?
2) Is it telling me I have a problem ?
3) Do I need to do anything or does it work automatically.

If it is relevant.........a week or so ago I got notification to the effect "Windows need to to re-start for updates" etc. which I duly did.
Could the "Defender" be part of that update ??
Thanks.

windows defender is just MS free built in antivirus. its not the greatest anti virus software out there ( if you wnata good free one you cant go far wrong with bitdefender ).
however it was probably part of your update or even disabled as default ( windows also has a free built in firewall ). the icon just means the antivirus protection is active so no need to worry.

There are plenty of viruses that disguise themselves as "Windows Defender" by the way. To make sure I googled "windows defender virus" and there are a lot of hits. See if you can get anything from that and work out if yours is a legitimate version of the software or a hijacker.

There are plenty of viruses that disguise themselves as "Windows Defender" by the way. To make sure I googled "windows defender virus" and there are a lot of hits. See if you can get anything from that and work out if yours is a legitimate version of the software or a hijacker.

Right..........I have done as suggested-thanks.
On one hand I have not had any undue number of pop-ups or problems and not had any site offering to fix problems for a fee.
On the other hand..........I "thought" I had AVG free but cannot find any trace of it now.
The advice on the internet suggests that the Windows Defender Virus does hide all your normal anti-virus icons so you cannot access them for help.
I will try and download the latest AVG and see what happens.

With some new W8.1 laptops MacAfee is pre-loaded and will operate as your default anti-virus & anti-malware until its free trial period runs out. During this time Windows Defender is turned off or inactive as it can cause problems using 2 or more anti-virus programmes at the same time. When MacAfee trial period ends you will get a pop-up asking you to pay for MacAfee to continue running, warning you that your system is unprotected. If you stop or remove MacAfee Windows Defender is automatically activated and the 'castle' icon will appear in you task bar. Click on the icon to open it and make sure it is turned on and running. If you do not want WD as your AV make sure you turn it off before running another AV programme you may have downloaded (like AVG) or they will conflict with each other. It is a case of personal preference as to which AV programme you believe to be the best. I personally use Avast (in gaming mode so as to stop pop-ups telling me how good it is). If Microsoft make WD part of Windows 8 then they must believe it is good enough but they do suggest other lines of defence to accompany it such as Malwarebytes Pro.

Dave

The AVG setup file is probably in your Downloads folder. Just type 'downloads' in the search box near where the Start button is/was and the file should appear in a list. click on it to see your downloads and hopefully the AVG file.

Dave

Just read your other post where you mention you are running Vista Home. if you cannot find the Downloads folder using the above method then open the browser you used to download the latest version of AVG (IE, Firefox, Chrome etc) and click on the tools menu, usually a cog icon or 3 horizontal lines (most likely in top r/h corner). There should be a 'Downloads' folder there you can open and find your AVG download.

dave

The AVG setup file is probably in your Downloads folder. Just type 'downloads' in the search box near where the Start button is/was and the file should appear in a list. click on it to see your downloads and hopefully the AVG file.
Dave

And indeed it was :)
Thanks for that.

Just read your other post where you mention you are running Vista Home. if you cannot find the Downloads folder using the above method then open the browser you used to download the latest version of AVG (IE, Firefox, Chrome etc) and click on the tools menu, usually a cog icon or 3 horizontal lines (most likely in top r/h corner). There should be a 'Downloads' folder there you can open and find your AVG download.
dave

Thanks very much.
It was in the "downloads folder"...........which I didn't know I had.
What do you mean by "open the browser" ??

What do you mean by "open the browser"

A browser is the software you use to get onto the internet such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera etc. When on the internet you probably search using a 'search engine' such as Google.

In most cases to get onto the internet you click the appropriate browser icon which then connects your computer and it is also likely that the Google search page opens automatically.

Dave

What do you mean by "open the browser"

A browser is the software you use to get onto the internet such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera etc. When on the internet you probably search using a 'search engine' such as Google.

In most cases to get onto the internet you click the appropriate browser icon which then connects your computer and it is also likely that the Google search page opens automatically.

Dave

Right......got you.
I use Mozilla Firefox (I was told it was safer than Explorer)

A

A new development in the saga.........
I installed AVG last night (thanks for the help) and this morning the Windows Defender icon has disappeared. How wierd :(

Hi David, you shouldn't be running more than one anti-virus on your computer at the same time or they can conflict with each other and cause problems. Perhaps WD turned off and closed automatically when you installed AVG.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back