• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian extinct giant raptors (1 Viewer)

Jim LeNomenclatoriste

Je suis un mignon petit Traquet rubicole
France
Michael knap, Jessica E . Thomas, James Haile, Stefan Prost, Simon Y.W.Ho, Nicolas Dussex, Sophia Cameron-Christie, Olga Kardailsky, Ross Barnet, Michael Bunce, M.Thomas P. Gilbert, R.Paul Scofield. Mitogenomic evidence of close relationships between New Zealand’s extinct giant raptors and small-sized Australian sister-taxa. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution
Available online, 10 February 2019, In Press, Accepted Manuscript

Abstract
Prior to human arrival in the 13th century, two large birds of prey were the top predators in New Zealand. In the absence of non-volant mammals, the extinct Haast's eagle (Hieraaetus moorei), the largest eagle in the world, and the extinct Eyles' harrier (Circus teauteensis) the largest harrier in the world, had filled ecological niches that are on other landmasses occupied by animals such as large cats or canines. The evolutionary and biogeographic history of these island giants has long been a mystery. Here we reconstruct the origin and evolution of New Zealand’s giant raptors using complete mitochondrial genome data. We show that both Eyles’ harrier and Haast’s eagle diverged from much smaller, open land adapted Australasian relatives in the late Pliocene to early Pleistocene. These events coincided with the development of open habitat in the previously densely forested islands of New Zealand. Our study provides evidence of rapid evolution of island gigantism in New Zealand’s extinct birds of prey. Early Pleistocene climate and environmental changes were likely to have triggered the establishment of Australian raptors into New Zealand. Our results shed light on the evolution of two of the most impressive cases of island gigantism in the world.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1055790318306328

I've always found this rather interesting, and very sad that we do not have Haast's Eagle (or Eyles' Harrier) around today. How awesome would it be to live in a world with an Eagle that could literally take a human ! :eek!:

I didn't have access to the full text - only to the abstract with diagram.

The sizes on the diagram seemed to me to compare females of the two extinct species with males of the Australian species (Harrier and Little Eagle). The males are much smaller than their female counterparts (~1/2 to ~2/3 the weight)

Wingspan for our female Harriers (Spotted and Swamp) is about 1.45-1.5m.

Similarly, the wingspan for the female Little Eagle is about 1.35-1.4m.

I have to say the pictures of the Haast's Eagle skeleton I have seen pictures of, have the skull with quite a long beak relatively ..... resembling more the skull of a Wedge-tailed Eagle.

Also, given the environments, it's not hard for me to imagine the Haast's Eagle having something like the Little Eagle's proportions (powerful, thick legs, feet, and talons), though I wonder if Haast's Eagle is as long winged relatively as the Little Eagle, or whether it would be more like the forest eagles - Harpy and Philippine. ie. shorter (relatively - but still 2.6-3m !!) and broader wings, with a longer tail than the Little Eagle, relatively.

I have seen a female Little Eagle of about 1.25-1.36kg absolutely nail a buck rabbit ~1.8kg with a hind talon right through the forehead, drag it over under a tree, eat part of it, and then fly off with the rest ....... you can only imagine an eagle around 2&1/2 times the size and weighing over 10x as much ! :eek!: :t:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back