• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact camera with 4k video - when will we see one ? (1 Viewer)

scotview

I wonder when we will see a compact camera like the RX100 with 4K video capability. Do you think it is for technical, marketing or cost reasons that such a camera isn't yet on the market. The Xperia mobile phone shoots 4K video, so presumably there is no reason why 4K capability couldn't be installed in a compact with a short X3 optical lens. (I have tested the LX100 and unfortunately it's lens isn't physically suited to digiscoping)

Also, on a similar note, I see that the new Coolpix P900 megazoom is only 1080p and doesn't have 4K capability, if it did it could be a world beater, IMHO.

Perhaps the requirement for high capacity memory cards is the limiting factor ?

Last edited:
I wonder when we will see a compact camera like the RX100 with 4K video capability. Do you think it is for technical, marketing or cost reasons that such a camera isn't yet on the market. The Xperia mobile phone shoots 4K video, so presumably there is no reason why 4K capability couldn't be installed in a compact with a short X3 optical lens. (I have tested the LX100 and unfortunately it's lens isn't physically suited to digiscoping)

Also, on a similar note, I see that the new Coolpix P900 megazoom is only 1080p and doesn't have 4K capability, if it did it could be a world beater, IMHO.

Perhaps the requirement for high capacity memory cards is the limiting factor ?

I heard that overheating could be a problem with 4k in a small body. It certainly was with the Nikon V1 and it was only HD.
I'm expecting the Sony RX100 M4 to have 4k. Wishful thinking?
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back