• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Choosing a scope thread - sorry (1 Viewer)

Bencw

Well, I have sold my very old Optolyth TBS80, pre-flourite scope and my spacemaster, with the intention putting the money toward something more up to date with later coatings / glass. I don't know a lot about scopes, and I am in no hurry, and I don't mind waiting for a good pre owned scope to come up, my thinking is something like an angled Swarovski ATS / ATX maybe. What I have no idea of, would that be better than for example a new Opticron or Celestron etc, or even the new Optolyth's, which may cost less. Although not so keen on Optolyth simply because they have no UK agent anymore. The only other thing, is I would also want it versatile to use for a bit of star / moon gazing now and then too. Price wise, well anything from around £600 up to about £1200, Any reccomendations welcome based on experience , just to give me food for thought, although i'm aware from my binocular experience a lot may be down to personal preference, I have bins in my collection that I like which some people detest.

Ben

If you can afford it get a swarovski, but if not, since you want to do some astro as well, i recomend you the regal m2 100, you are going to need that aperture for keep a bright image and also it takes 1.25 eyepieces ... but be aware is a heavy scope.

If you can afford it get a swarovski, but if not, since you want to do some astro as well, i recomend you the regal m2 100, you are going to need that aperture for keep a bright image and also it takes 1.25 eyepieces ... but be aware is a heavy scope.

Another thumbs up for the Celestron Regal M2. I've just sold my angled Regal 80 F-ED, because of a neck problem, and with a Baader Hyperion 68 degree 17mm fixed eyepiece it was a great view. Definately very good value for money with the beauty of being able to use any wide angle 1.25" eyepiece.

Thanks all,

Thanks for the link , and the positives for Celestron Regal M2, that is one I have had in mind, without any idea what they may be like. I was thinking 80mm but not too worried about weight, so 100mm a serious contender now, maybe with the baader zoom. The swarovski was probably the best option, but not sure of one will come up near my price range.

Thanks all,

Thanks for the link , and the positives for Celestron Regal M2, that is one I have had in mind, without any idea what they may be like. I was thinking 80mm but not too worried about weight, so 100mm a serious contender now, maybe with the baader zoom. The swarovski was probably the best option, but not sure of one will come up near my price range.

secondhand ATS sometimes come up on here, usually about £1200,got mine that way!

Doing yourself a disservice not at least having a read. Birdwatch magazine reviewed this scope and sung its praises.

Hi,

so I suppose you mean the Olivon T84 EDO? I have found the birdwatch review which sounds quite positive but I cannot really compare as I don't know their usual tone.
Let's just say I know websites where a lemon receives a similar review...

I haven't found anything else on the model and I never heard of the brand (which might be due to the fact that I live in germany ;-)...

Do you have first hand experience with that model?

Joachim

You might want to have a look for some Nikon Fieldscope ED. Optically they're still among the top scopes. Check the Nikon forum here.

60mm: EDIII/EDIIIA, 82mm: ED82. The older 60mm EDII/EDIIA is also good, but they're not really waterproof. Make sure you get the eyepieces you want, they're becoming a bit scarce nowadays.

Hermann

Many thanks all.

This has helped me clarify my thoughts, I have had a look at all the suggestions, and pretty much formed a view now, it will be 80mm or 100mm, will wait a little awhile to see if I can get a pre owned Swarovski 80mm at a reasonable price, with EP etc, if not, come spring I will go for the Celestron Regal M2 100mm new.
Thanks again.

Thanks again.

1200 pounds can buy a very good scope second hand,but you can buy a very nice kowa 823 ,used,for half that price.The Nikon ED82 is also superb ,and well in your budget,even with a couple of eyepieces...The good thing about a nice used swaro HD ,is that it will retain a very high resale value ,if kept in good condition...The regal and other high end models from lesser brands,as good a value they can represent ,might be all subject to more sample variation .I am sure you know how to detect basic and evident optical problems like misalignment or astigmatism.just make sure if you buy online ,the seller would accept a return or that you can try your unit in the shop,if you buy in person..You should place an add in the wanted section of the classifieds,the members here are quite reasonable with prices and you might find the right scope at the right price,and maybe nlt far from your town...
Best of lucks with the search

Go with the 80 or 100. You are used to 80. Any 60 or 65mm willlook dim.

Of course, one gets used to any scope one has. I figured out how to adjust and use my straight scope for other people. I just go about 20-25x and crouch a little to set it up.

How is that Celestron working out? I was not really in the market for a scope but but...I had to order the 65mm Regal because it was just too good to turn down. It will be almost the same as my Pentax, but since I now help out some beginner birders (I got training as so called Master Naturalist) I needed an angled scope. The big appeal of Celestron was the 1.25 inch eye piece. It won't go extinct.

So now I have the Celestron 65mm, just to have an angled scope. It is heavier than my 65mm Pentax. I have a Vixen eye piece on my Pentax. I put the old Vixen eye piece next to the scope.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Tero1111/celestron scope_zps5x3fq6wb.jpg
for me with glasses I think I actually prefer the Vixen eye piece. I could have them on both scopes as I have two and both use 1.25 inch eye piece connections. For a non eye glass wearer the eye piece on the Celestron is lovely and blocks stray light well. For me with glasses on, it goes to about 40x. To get to 48x I need to take my glasses off.

I think I will leave the Celestron on my Manfrotto tripod, as I can trust a bunch of people to not knock the sturdy tripod over. I'll get a lighter tripod for my Pentax to make it a little more portable. When I get my next "paycheck."

The optics, Pentax with Vixen eye piece and Celestron, are very similar. I think I normally go to 40-45x on the Pentax.

Last edited:
One obvious drawback to the Celestron is the weight and lack of balance. Most scopes will stand on the "shoe" on a table. This will tip backward. On a tripod, you are best holding on to the panning handle the whole time. I will explore heads and mounting options.

For this reason I would not want the 80mm Celestron.

Reading the booklet, the 100mm scope comes with a mount plate for better balance on tripod. No such plate for 65mm and 80mm.

The regal ... as good a value they can represent ,might be all subject to more sample variation

Yes. I bought a M2 100ED secondhand online and it turned out to be quite the performer. So far I've bought fixed Celestron Luminos 82* eyepieces of 15mm/36X & 7mm/77X. New, I managed a small deal on the eyepieces at $143 for the pair.

But, I bought a new[two day NEAF expo demo w/one year warranty] Celestron Trailseeker 100mm and it will only resolve unto 45X. After that the detail starts to disappear, as if going in reverse on focus, and blur slightly.

The vendor refused to replace only offering a refund. I thought a 100mm scope should have no issue resolving the supplied oem zoom to 67X.

I'm still waiting to hear from me complaint lodged w/Celestron.

That being said I like the M2 100ED. If I were to buy another, any w/1 1/4" eyepiece capability, I would have a couple of fixed eyepieces onhand. The moon shows quite a bit of detail at 77X.

I have a Meade 5000 UWA 82* 5.5mm/98X & a Vixen LSV 45* 4mm/135X fixed eyepiece enroute. I'm confident in the 98X, not so sure on the 135X, but thought I'd try just the same.

Good luck on the hunt.
Reading the booklet, the 100mm scope comes with a mount plate for better balance on tripod. No such plate for 65mm and 80mm.

The M2 80ED is supposed to come w/plate as well. Still, that plate only comes w/one bolt assembly. I needed to round up another bolt to secure the plate to the scope. Just as my QR plate on the fluid video head I purchased did not have a pin to prevent twisting laterally. There are two holes that match w/two holes in the boot of the plate that enabled me to fashion a couple of pins. So, it could've been worse.

It's tight now, but I only load rated the head to almost double the weight of the scope. I would recommend 3X load rated head. Unless you wish to attempt hiking w/monopod keeping weight to a minimum. Regardless, you will need a head rated twice the weight of the scope or thereabouts due to the length of the scope and the leverage it applies.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back