• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very unusual visitor to our birdtable (1 Viewer)

Steve Clifford

Hello folks,
We've got a pretty good selection of visitors to our bird table (Staffordshire Moorlands UK) but can any of you help us identify this little beauty who turned up yesterday morning? It's not in our book of British and European birds so I guess it's an escapee from an aviary somewhere but that doesn't make it any the less delightful.
I've atached a picture - please take a look and see what you think...
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• yellowbird3.jpg
    yellowbird3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 215
Looks like one of the African Weaver birds to me, overall the markings are similar to Weyns's Weaver, but this is yellow eyed, and your bird looks to have a red eye like Black-headed Weaver, it is most likely an escapee and could be a hybrid and as there are many species of Weaver it would be difficult to pin down which ones it is a hybrid of.

Yes Village Weaver is highly likely too, but I felt that the black extending from the neck on to th mantle was to extensive, however they can vary quite a bit.

I am going only by the species in the 'birds of gambia and senegal' or whatever it's called, so am sure there are many similar species elsewhere in africa

Ok then guys,
Thanks for replying so quickly - looks like a black headed weaver bird then... the eye is actually a brilliant orange in real life. I take your points though about how easily this class (finches -ish) of birds will hybridise... After all, Darwin spotted the tendancy for sure!!
Unfortunately, although I've been home all day today and watching out, it has not returned so far. Do you know what it likes to eat? Or what may attract it back to the table? I just read that some weavers feed on fruit (figs) - is this so? Yesterday it was eating the seed but not nuts we have out at the moment.
Still a cracking sight though.
Steve.

Try puting a slice or two of Melon out for it. However, the bird being a likely escape and brightly coloured it would be an easy target for the local Sparrowhawk, so don't be too surprised if it doesn't return.

weaver bird

nigelblake said:
Try puting a slice or two of Melon out for it. However, the bird being a likely escape and brightly coloured it would be an easy target for the local Sparrowhawk, so don't be too surprised if it doesn't return.
Thanks Nigel,
Haven't seen the Hawks down in our valley for a year or so; nevertheless
I sort af agree with your sentiment that the poor blighter wil not be with us for too much longer....Haven't seen him again yet - will put out some melon though and will ask around the neighbours. Of course will let you know what happens.
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back