• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in Reading (1 Viewer)

WiseOwl

Hi,

I will be in Reading this coming Saturday, and would love to catch up with some Kites, and hopefully get some photos.

Im travelling by rail, so somewhere i can get to easily would be great.

Are there any good spots near to Readings Football ground, and any good spots for general Birding, Gravel pits ect.

Thanks for your help.

Den

Hi Den,

Down for the Villa game? Hopefully we'll be back with you next season ;)

Kites can be seen pretty much anywhere around Reading at any time, but you cannot really guarantee them. Over the stadium is a good a bet as anywhere!

The stadium is on the southern edge of Reading. If you are walking from the station (about two miles) you will come down the A33 Reading relief road. This is a general map: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=reading&countryCode=GB#map=51.43108,-0.98162|15|4&loc=GB:51.45499:-0.96926:14|reading|Reading,%20Berkshire,%20England,%20RG1%202 To the west of this is Fobney meadows which has wetland/scrub species and often Little Egret. Hobby and Kite possible here.

A little further west are the Burghfield Gravel pits, north of the M4 and Pingewood GPs to the south. All are good for general birding, although you may struggle to find Nightingale this late.

For a bit more info, start at: http://www.birdsofberkshire.co.uk/Theale MI.htm

http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/ has all the latest Berkshire sightings.

If you want really good views of Kites, come to the Chilterns, let me know if you need any sites...

ATB

Robin

over woodley town centre many times every day [cant go wrong], dinton pastures l. n. r. is on the edge of woodley which itself is just two miles outside reading.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, im down for the Villa game....hopefully we will come back with Nicky Shoreys signature lol.

Ive been through Reading loads of times on my frequent jaunts to the south-west, often seeing Kites drifting around, and thought this would be a good opportunity to try and get some shots of them, and anything else!

The pits adjacent the ground and Hosehill look good. Is there anything else to look out for besides birds, such as Butterflies and Dragonflies?

Can i access these areas from the Canal?

Regards

Den

Yes, you can access the pits from the Kennet and Avon.

The area is good for dragons and damsels, nothing special for butterflies - see http://www.freewebs.com/tabcg/hosehilllnrspecieslists.htm
for the species list for Hosehill NR (and more info about the pits).

Hope you like the area - we have been battling plans by Prudential to build several thousand homes on it (a floodplain!) with some recent success!

You may well need a new left back - hopefully Bouma will recover but it looked bad! Siddy may get a 'warm' reception!

Hope it's a good game and a good trip - I'll be in north Wales by then!

ATB

Robin

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Hi , I have been driving in Reading today and just opposite the Football club on the other side of the A33 I have seen several Kites [10 maybe] and Hundreds of Crows, Rooks circling around the air, the Kites chasing the odd crow here and there and crows chasing them... quite amazing to see this site in hte middle of suburbia. I stopped off and took some footage on my phone. It transpired that many of the crows were congregating around a walled fenced off area adjacent to a car dealership. What this was I dont know. There also a stench in the air of rotting flesh or sewarige... couldnt be sure.. but anyway seems this part of Reading is great for Kite watching on a hot day , as ive seen them before... Mark w

Hi , I have been driving in Reading today and just opposite the Football club on the other side of the A33 I have seen several Kites [10 maybe] and Hundreds of Crows, Rooks circling around the air, the Kites chasing the odd crow here and there and crows chasing them... quite amazing to see this site in hte middle of suburbia. I stopped off and took some footage on my phone. It transpired that many of the crows were congregating around a walled fenced off area adjacent to a car dealership. What this was I dont know. There also a stench in the air of rotting flesh or sewarige... couldnt be sure.. but anyway seems this part of Reading is great for Kite watching on a hot day , as ive seen them before... Mark w
On our visit to watch London Irish at the Madjeski Stadium, Reading on Sunday 18th April 2010 we parked opposite next to the closed Council depot which was full of parked up refuse carts. We were surprised to see 3 Red Kites circling over the depot amongst 20 odd crows. At least one Kite appeared to have wing tags (not positive but believed pink & yellow)
Just prior to kick off, one kite flew directly over the stadium. Made our day!!!

hi, twyford rail station come there and step out and most days you will see a kite and ive counted 15 before now flying round at different heights... This area is full of kites which is brilliant to see...
Hosehill is a good place, theres some little gems in this area -- i find graveyards the best for dragonflys....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back