• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

starting out (1 Viewer)

mark f

Well im yet to get kitted out.
I go bird watching with a member of this forum who currently has the 400d with the 100-400 and the kenco 1.4 is in the post.

Ive been reading loads of posts on this forum and as a novice would you say the 40d with the 100-400 and kenco1.4 is a good move?

Is this overkill for a beginner??

Are you finding the AF is working with this set up when taping the contacts?

Although a beginner i will have my friends assistance.

I guess my main question marks are is the 40d a bit much and is it worth stretching to a prime lense over the 100-400 set up.

Thanks guys for your help and i love the pics.

Mark, I am not 100% certain but I don`t think the Kenko 1.4 works with a 100-400 on a 40D. There is a thread lower down that will shed more light on this.
It is "Whats the latest etc."

Mark, I am not 100% certain but I don`t think the Kenko 1.4 works with a 100-400 on a 40D. There is a thread lower down that will shed more light on this.
It is "Whats the latest etc."

The use of tc's on the 100-400 seems to be a very variable issue, some get on fine others don't. I tried a Kenko 1.4x tc on a 400D and 100-400 IS and it sent the IS nutty, however a friend has the same set up and it works fine.

If you can afford the 40D then go for it it's clearly a very good camera, I'd upgrade to one if I had the cash. The 100-400 is a cracking lens and a great on to be starting out with. The big primes do have advantages but they come at a cost of both money and size/weight.

As you're just starting out I'd stick to a camera/lens combo, and think about TCs in the future.

As John points out too, there are very mixed results coming out from attempts to use Kenko TCs with the 40D and 100-400mm (speaking from experience here!), but aside from that, I can't recommend the 40D/100-400mm combo highly enough - it's bloody wonderful!

;)

Last edited:
thx guys for your quick replies. after a trip to minsmere i did have similar thoughts that my friends and others set up was very easy to use because of its size over some who were carrying big prime lenses.

I guess the way round whether the kenco works is to buy it all together and try it out.

I love your site keith. Certainly inspires confidence!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back