• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Lenses for Busy City Bird Photography? (1 Viewer)

elliottr

United States
Hello everyone! First post on this forum; happy to be here.

I use a Canon R5 with an EF 100-400. At a later date I will be vacationing to Europe and will be walking around crowded cities and their ports (it’s a cruise). I was hoping to take my camera with me when exploring to take pics of birds I come across. However I 1) do not want to lug around a big lens that would take a toll on my back as well as could get bumped into a lot and 2) do not want to attract unwanted attention if ya get what I mean.

Is there a good option for a lens that’s lowkey enough but still takes decent enough shots of wildlife in a busy city setting? I wasn’t able to find much about it online and do not know much about smaller lenses. I’d love anyone’s opinion!

Also, would you recommend adding a 1.4x extender to the small lens? Seems like it could work well.

Thanks so much for your time! Cheers.

Hello everyone! First post on this forum; happy to be here.

I use a Canon R5 with an EF 100-400. At a later date I will be vacationing to Europe and will be walking around crowded cities and their ports (it’s a cruise). I was hoping to take my camera with me when exploring to take pics of birds I come across. However I 1) do not want to lug around a big lens that would take a toll on my back as well as could get bumped into a lot and 2) do not want to attract unwanted attention if ya get what I mean.

Is there a good option for a lens that’s lowkey enough but still takes decent enough shots of wildlife in a busy city setting? I wasn’t able to find much about it online and do not know much about smaller lenses. I’d love anyone’s opinion!

Also, would you recommend adding a 1.4x extender to the small lens? Seems like it could work well.

Thanks so much for your time! Cheers.
Normally, the most obvious choice would be the new RF100-400 - light, compact (for what it is) and less conspicuous. Problem is it's really just duplicating what you have with your current lens. The Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 is another option. Not as much reach though but could use as a general walk around lens. I personally wouldn't recommend an extender to anything other than a long lens. You might be disappointed with the results.

In terms of security it would depend where you are going on the cruise and it doesn't matter what lens you have attached the camera is worth stealing to someone of that disposition. I have wandered in many places and it was only ever a concern in Brazil but we were warned and I know one passenger was mugged for a gold chain having not heeded the warning.
The 1.4TC isn't compatible with all lenses so be careful what you choose. That applies to both EF and RF versions .
You could sell your EF 100-400 but if it's the Mk2 version you would probably be downgrading with most RF options other than the 100-500 which is superb.
Personally I would go for the rather expensive 100-500 ...I did. If 100mm is too much reach I use my phone.

The best choice would probably be to use a "Bridge" type camera. I suggest you look for the Sony RX10 IV which is an excellent choice. In this group, there are many models available in different price ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back