• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spots near Fort Myers (1 Viewer)

hanri

I am going to Florida for my job the first week of April. I will stay at Fort Myers and I hope to have some free time for birdwatching.

Could somebody indicate me some interesting birding spots close to Fort myers ?.

Thanks by advance .

Fort Myers has a lot of good spots. You could try: Ding Darling, Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve, Sanibel Lighthouse Park Beach (early am before crowds), Bunche Beach Preserve, Little Estero Island Critical Wildlife Area (behind the Holiday Inn), Lovers Key State Wildlife Area, Cape Coral Lee County Library for Burrowing Owls, Harns Marsh and Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary.

That should take up any free time you have.

Thanks a lot for these valuable informations. I only have two days free, I will not have time to see everything, but I'm sure to have a good time because I saw there were a lot of very interesting species to watch

I went to the area in January. I think the best spot was Corkscrew Swamp as this held huge numbers of warblers including Prairie Warbler, Baltimore Oriole, Wood Stork and several species of Woodpecker.

Ding Darling on Sanibel Island was also excellent. I hired a bike and cycled around it. Highlights here were Roseate Spoonbill, Great White Pelican, Yellow-crowned Night-heron and numerous shorebirds.

I agree with simmojunior that Corkscrew is an excellent place to spend a day. Our trip there in December was the highlight of our visit to southwest Florida.

Streve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back