• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upcoming West Coast Florida Trip (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Hi, y'all in the Sunshine State -

This time next week, my wife, Liz, and I will be packing for a 12-14 day kayaking, camping and birding trip down the west coast of Florida. We have a tentative schedule based on target birds and paddling potential.
Much of this forum's focus is on the east coast, which I follow for a future trip, but I was hoping to get some feedback this time from birders on the west side.

Anyone out there who cares to comment on and critique our bird-finding plans?

Thanks -

Steve
North Carolina

While Im not from Florida, I have been birding on the Gulf Coast side before. I dont know what your exact plans are, but I would recommend Sanibel Island - Darling NWR and if you go inland Corkscrew Swamp.

What particular species are you looking for?

J.W. - We do have plans to get to Ding Darling and Corkscrew. Kind of "must stops" for that area, aren't they? I am using the 2005 edition of the ABA guide by Pranty to focus our efforts.
It would probably be helpful if I posted our bird list and places we hope to find them:

King and Virginia Rails - Paynes Prairie Preserve, Honeymoon Island SP, Fred Babcock WMA
Budgerigar - Weeki Wachee, Bayonet Point
Seaside Sparrow - Dunedin Hammock Park
Sedge Wren - Crews Lake CP, Honeymoon Island SP
Black-hooded Parakeets - St. Petersburg

Since we are confined to the west coast, it seems likely we'll miss Snail Kite, Short-tailed Hawk and Shiny Cowbird. Can't quite squeeze out any time to go east at all.
Mangrove Cuckoo is a long shot but we'll be in plenty of places to watch for them. I'm assuming Black-whiskered Vireo is gone for the season.

Not a really long list but not many easy birds on it.

Not much time to do research. Given the season, we might be best off making reservations instead of going and hoping to find places to spend the night. We're hoping the Green-tailed Towhee is still at Paynes Prairie and following several sites for rare bird alerts.

Steve

J.W. - We do have plans to get to Ding Darling and Corkscrew. Kind of "must stops" for that area, aren't they? I am using the 2005 edition of the ABA guide by Pranty to focus our efforts.
It would probably be helpful if I posted our bird list and places we hope to find them:

King and Virginia Rails - Paynes Prairie Preserve, Honeymoon Island SP, Fred Babcock WMA
Budgerigar - Weeki Wachee, Bayonet Point
Seaside Sparrow - Dunedin Hammock Park
Sedge Wren - Crews Lake CP, Honeymoon Island SP
Black-hooded Parakeets - St. Petersburg

Since we are confined to the west coast, it seems likely we'll miss Snail Kite, Short-tailed Hawk and Shiny Cowbird. Can't quite squeeze out any time to go east at all.
Mangrove Cuckoo is a long shot but we'll be in plenty of places to watch for them. I'm assuming Black-whiskered Vireo is gone for the season.

Not a really long list but not many easy birds on it.

Not much time to do research. Given the season, we might be best off making reservations instead of going and hoping to find places to spend the night. We're hoping the Green-tailed Towhee is still at Paynes Prairie and following several sites for rare bird alerts.

Steve

If you are going to Corkscrew then you aren't that far from Snail Kites. I recommend going on a Hendry/Glades Audubon field trip to STA-5 or visit Devil's Garden. You will see Snail KItes easily at either location. Links below. Black-whiskered Vireo won't be back until April. Mangrove Cuckoo is possible but unlikely away from the southern Everglades at this time of year. SW Florida is excellent for birding. Have you checked out the listservs on www.birdingonthe.net and the Great Florida Birding Trail? www.floridabirdingtrail.com

http://www.hendrygladesaudubon.org/?page_id=110

http://www.devilsgardenbirdpark.com/

A really great place to go paddling is Fisheating Creek WMA.

http://www.fisheatingcreekoutpost.com/

http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/wmas/lead/fisheating-creek/

Last edited:
Paynes Prairie Preserve is currently extremely dry so finding any rails there is bound to be much more difficult than usual. The Sandhill Cranes are not roosting there because of the drought.

Thanks for the suggestions, Andy. I had researched Sta-5, wishing we could go on a bird count there, there is no time to go any distance inland. We're stuggling to find time for everything there is to do just along the west coast.
To think I lived in Clearwater for three years in the late '70's and was not a birder at the time!

Steve

Excellent information, dacol. Not welcome but informative and very helpful. We may pencil in less time there. We had birded Paynes Prairie several years ago so this time we may take a look for the Green-tailed Towhee and move on. Assuming that bird is still there. Last report I see is for 12-7.
Do you have any alternate locations for King or Virginia Rails?

I wonder if Crews Lake County Park in Pasco County is dried up as well. We were supposed to stop for Sedge Wrens there.

Steve

Paynes Prairie Preserve is currently extremely dry so finding any rails there is bound to be much more difficult than usual. The Sandhill Cranes are not roosting there because of the drought.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back