• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (9 Viewers)

From the Centre
Water Rail x2, Little Ringed Plover x2, Lapwing c45, Oystercatcher, Common Tern x2 and Ring Necked Parakeet per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Midday. Common Sand, LBBG 25, BHG 10, Herring Gull 5, Common Tern 1 Swan Pool per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

I've been asked what is the record count for the Valley, Max count to date is 20 birds in April 1994
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks to Matt Hadlington for telling me who Steve was, I'm chuffed to receive such praise from the founder of Bird Forum! Sorry Steve for not realising who you where
Cheers Dave

Never had such a post for the Upton thread :-C

Are Water Rail annual breeders Dave?

The last few years have been pretty good, though to have bred since at least 2007, with young being seen nearly annually with one or two pairs present , thus resulting in such a good wintering population of at least a dozen birds
Thanks to Pete Hackett for his input
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
The last few years have pretty good, though to have bred since at least 2007, with young being seen nearly annually with one or two pairs present , thus resulting in such a good wintering population of at least a dozen birds
Thanks to Pete Hackett for is input
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks Dave for the background - I suspect many people don't realise who scarce a breeder Water Rail is in Britain.

The last few years have pretty good, though to have bred since at least 2007, with young being seen nearly annually with one or two pairs present , thus resulting in such a good wintering population of at least a dozen birds
Thanks to Pete Hackett for is input
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks Dave for the background - I suspect many people don't realise who scarce a breeder Water Rail is in Britain.

Little Ringed plover x4, Common Tern x2, Pochard x3 2m 1f, Lapwing c37 Marsh, Water Rail, Black Headed Gull c46, Kingfisher, Greylag x2, Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Gadwall Ad's + 3 Chicks, Tufted Duck x18+ Chicks two Broods, Buzzard x5, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Ring Necked Parakeet, Stock Dove, Green Woodpecker x2, Swift, House Martin, Swallow, Reed Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Reed Bunting and Bullfinch c8
Good Birding YAMYAM

5 Pochard (4 m, 1f), 4 LRP, 30 Mute Swan (+ cygnets), 4 Cormorant on Forge Mill this evening per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back