• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (8 Viewers)

just a quick stroll didn't take my bins but gladys took camera,
50+ shifts,30+ gulls flying north,several pairs of goldfinch ,reed bunting ,heard reed warbler and a Buzzard.some huge dragonflys also.
1st pic nats full of my blood ha ha
2nd damsle fly
3rd bird watching?

Attachments

• sat 23 009.jpg
    sat 23 009.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 210
  • sat 23 011.jpg
    sat 23 011.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 227
  • sat 23 013.jpg
    sat 23 013.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
A Hobby perched in nearby Oak for most of the evening, making occasional flights to catch dragonflies. Spotted Flycatcher near the churchyard again, Water Rail calling from the reedbed, two Ravens, Buzzard, Grey Heron and Kingfisher.

I left quite early this evening but the hirundine roost already numbered about 300. 26 Swifts also.

Hi Dave, hope your ok mate :)
Whereabouts is the Bellflower situated as i wouldnt mind seeing that?

Cheers, Jared

Hi Jared,

Funny you should mention that as I would like your opinion on them. I'm now doubting my id. At first, they appeared quite small and clustered but now I'm beginning to think they are NETTLE-LEAVED BELLFLOWER instead. Anyhow, they are situated in the clump of trees by the church, on the other side of the Salwarpe past the weir on the field boundary. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Cheers.

Also, look out for Small Teasel in the woodland there - in the damp hollows - I believe this is quite a localised plant. I'm going to get photos of it when it's flowering.

went for a quick stroll Thursday about 6pm all very quite at that time,just one photo more bird watching.;)

Attachments

• coney 013.jpg
    coney 013.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 218
went for a quick stroll Thursday about 6pm all very quite at that time,just one photo more bird watching.;)

I must've just missed you on Thursday. Things can seem quiet at this time of year but dusk-time is still worth the effort. A Hobby was perched in the Oak tree opposite the screen that evening (the tree pictured in your photo). My own (very poor) photo shows a silhouette of the Hobby taken on Thursday evening. :t:

Attachments

• Hobby Coney Meadow.JPG
    Hobby Coney Meadow.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 176
An adult Spotted Flycatcher showed well by the churchyard this morning. The woodland area between the gate and the towpath has been very reliable for this species of late and a bit of patience scanning in this area seems to repay the effort. This afternoon, it was in the same area with a fairly well-grown juvenile. One was also seen along the canal at one point. Also seen today were Goldcrest, 2 Ravens, Buzzards, juvenile Willow Warbler, Blackcaps, male Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher. Butterflies included Holly Blue, 4 Marbled Whites, Green-veined White, loads of Gatekeepers, 3 Speckled Woods, Small Whites, Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Commas. Essex Skippers are now outnumbering Small Skippers by about 2 to 1, with at least a dozen of the former seen. Other insects included Cinnabar Moth, Six-spot Burnet Moth, Common Darter, Brown Hawker, Southern Hawker and Banded Demoiselle.

Photos below: Green-veined White, Pyramidal Orchid (past its best), Enchanter's Nightshade, Small Teasel and Musk Mallow.

Attachments

• Green-veined White.jpg
    Green-veined White.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Pyramidal Orchid Salwarpe.jpg
    Pyramidal Orchid Salwarpe.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Enchanter's Nightshade.jpg
    Enchanter's Nightshade.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Small Teasel.jpg
    Small Teasel.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Musk Mallow.jpg
    Musk Mallow.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Two Garden Warblers together this morning in trees and bushes along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood were patch year-ticks. Lots of other Warblers along there too.

Two Willow Warblers in hedges around Coney Meadow plus juvenile Sedge Warbler (+ 2 adults). Also seen this morning:

300 Swallows, Sand Martins, 3 Ravens, 2+ Spotted Flycatchers, 4 Goldcrests, 2 Nuthatches, Buzzard, Treecreeper, Mistle Thrush and 2 Grey Wagtails.

A Hobby showed very well again this evening at dusk. The hirundine roost numbered about 300 - mainly Swallows and a few Sand Martins. Earlier, a Spotted Flycatcher again by the church, 2 Linnets, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker and a Grey Heron.

Also, 2 Essex Skippers, 1 Marbled White, Brown Hawkers and a Southern Hawker dragonflies plus Noctule and Pipistrelle bats.

Last edited:
tuesday stroll for Gladys and I,this time I took my bins but battery run out in camera! anyway 2 G S woodpeckers along river salwarpe and a green woody by meadow gate,Gladys found a trail of wood ants and a small turquoise grasshopper in meadow (just when you need a camera).the grey Herion was in same spot too.To much going on in woods to get anything else ,seemed to be a larger number gold finches along canal?

Persistent rain curtailed my evening watch - nonetheless, 300+ Swallows had gathered by the time I left. A dozen Swifts over nearby fields also.

A round up of the highlights from this weekend as follows:

Crossbill, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 4+ Willow Warblers (inc 2 juvs), 4 Bullfinch (inc. 1 juv), 2 Spotted Flycatchers, 3+ Goldcrests, Treecreeper, 5 Common Whitethroats, singing Mistle Thrush, 5+ Linnets, 4 Sedge Warblers, 2 Ravens, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher, Cormorant, Grey Heron, 3+ Buzzards, many Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Reed Warblers.

Insects were generally quite scarce but included Holly Blue, Comma, Gatekeepers, Skippers, Green-veined and Large Whites plus 2 Southern Hawkers, Common Darter and several Blue-tailed Damselflies.

A Fox was on the prowl along the canal this evening.

Flowering plant photos below: Red Bartsia, Water Figwort and Traveller's Joy.

Attachments

• Red Bartsia Coney Meadow.jpg
    Red Bartsia Coney Meadow.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Water Figwort Salwarpe.jpg
    Water Figwort Salwarpe.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Traveller's Joy Salwarpe.jpg
    Traveller's Joy Salwarpe.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 175
Persistent rain curtailed my evening watch - nonetheless, 300+ Swallows had gathered by the time I left. A dozen Swifts over nearby fields also.

A round up of the highlights from this weekend as follows:

Crossbill, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 4+ Willow Warblers (inc 2 juvs), 4 Bullfinch (inc. 1 juv), 2 Spotted Flycatchers, 3+ Goldcrests, Treecreeper, 5 Common Whitethroats, singing Mistle Thrush, 5+ Linnets, 4 Sedge Warblers, 2 Ravens, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher, Cormorant, Grey Heron, 3+ Buzzards, many Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Reed Warblers.

Insects were generally quite scarce but included Holly Blue, Comma, Gatekeepers, Skippers, Green-veined and Large Whites plus 2 Southern Hawkers, Common Darter and several Blue-tailed Damselflies.

A Fox was on the prowl along the canal this evening.

Flowering plant photos below: Red Bartsia, Water Figwort and Traveller's Joy.

A great list Dave, including 9 species that I didn't see at Upton today

A Little Owl called in the distance at dusk.

The Swallow roost continues to increase - probably pushing 500 this evening plus a few Sand Martins. A Hobby made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to snatch one.

Otherwise very quiet - a juvenile Willow Warbler, 2 Treecreepers, Chiffchaff, Reed Warblers, Reed Buntings, Goldfinches, 2 Ravens and a Common Buzzard.

Had a brillant evening Badgerwatching ,gladys found it not easy in the dust to take photos so we just watched them playing for an hour.

Attachments

• badgers 003.jpg
    badgers 003.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 161
  • badgers 009.jpg
    badgers 009.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 138
  • badgers 010.jpg
    badgers 010.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 154
A Spotted Flycatcher showed well this evening by the canal, east of Salwarpe Village. A Willow Warbler was on the west side.

Also 2 Ravens, 2 Buzzards, 15 House Martins, 300+ Swallows and a few Sand Martins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back