• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or Jackal Buzzard Suikerebosrand SA Feb26, 2109 (1 Viewer)

jmercer

WE are having a difference of opinion as to whether this bird is a Common (Steppe) Buzzard or a Jackal Buzzard. Any opinions and why? The last picture is a different bird taken near Kruger NP two days later

Attachments

• Common Buzzard_0991.jpg
    Common Buzzard_0991.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Common Buzzard_0992.jpg
    Common Buzzard_0992.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Common Buzzard_0995.jpg
    Common Buzzard_0995.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Common Buzzard_3095.JPG
    Common Buzzard_3095.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 25
the very well visible barring on upperwing, the rather broad wings and rather short tail are all better for juvenile Jackal, the obvious white tips on flight feathers show no wear, so a rather young juvenile, again better for Jackal

This is tough.
my thoughts:
There are 3 options
juvenile Jackal, brown morph Steppe and rufous morph Long-legged Buzzards, according to SASOL.

Long-legged is out not only on range, but also the wings don't appear deep enough. I think you knew that anyway.

Steppe: Has a black or brown terminal band to the retricies. Photo 3 rules this out. The tail length to wing base ratio is not as large as that of the Jackal buzzard, i.e. the wings are not as deep compared to the outer tail length. The middle birds have brown eyes, but I can't decide what colour bird #1 has due to colour blindess near the brown spectrum, but they do appear paler. Could that be due to angle?

Juv. Jackal: considering the depth of wing, lack of terminal band and fierce looking head, this is what I think the middle two are.

I can't decide on the last bird,the head appears slimmer and the wing terminal bars are black, which point to Steppe, but the tail lacks terminal bar, possibly due to wear. May be others could give their opinion.

The first bird has a plain rufus breast and fits Jackal rather well, but the eye colour might decide otherwise. If it is due to angle, then I would go for Jackal Buzzard.

EDIT: This was cross-posted with Tom, who is a far better bet than I am, but our conclusions do align somewhat

Last edited:
I can't decide on the last bird,the head appears slimmer and the wing terminal bars are black, which point to Steppe, but the tail lacks terminal bar, possibly due to wear. May be others could give their opinion.

EDIT: This was cross-posted with Tom, who is a far better bet than I am, but our conclusions do align somewhat

Andy, I agree that the last bird looks adult Steppe Buzzard, maybe just a question of angle and subterminal tail bar was visible a second later

Birds 1,2 &3 are all the same bird, so I will go with Juvenile Jackal Buzzard. The last bird is a different bird days, later and unfortunately, the only picture I got of that bird. My initial reaction was Steppe, so I will stay with that.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back