• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded Crane x Common Crane or Common Crane | Izumi, JP | March 2020 (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

Good day all,

I have been doubting the ID of this distant crane in farm fields surrounding the Izumi Crane Center in Southern Japan.

First I thought it was a nice 2CY Common Crane, albeit a bit pale.

Then I stumbled upon this 'front page' photo of Hooded Crane x Common Crane. It looks quite similar in my eyes.

I thought "ok, fine, it is a hybrid...of course... I should have known."
Thén a new record comes along (same area, but in 2024) of a similar bird... labeled as Common Crane again in observation.org.
After my contacting him about it, uploader of that record replied: but why is it not a Common Crane.... a good question.

The two disputed 2CY birds don't seem stocky, but rather long-necked like Common Crane.

Today, while prepping this post I found another crane photo which seems to me now the 'missing link' in this little story.
This bird in the middle of Hooded's is I think a fine example of an adult Common x Hooded (photo added last)

What do you say of these two 2CY birds? (or rather 3 if you count the species-photo of Inaturalist too)

Hope to hear from you
(pardon the rather messy look of this post)
cheers,
Gerben

adult Common x Hooded here: Common × Hooded Crane (Hybrid Grus grus × monacha) (not yet confirmed either)

2020-03-10 11.49.36 - GTH_3463-Kraanvogelhybride-onbev.JPG

Attachments

• 2020-03-10 12.43.23 - GTH_3599-KraanvogelxMonnikskraan-ad-onbev.JPG
    2020-03-10 12.43.23 - GTH_3599-KraanvogelxMonnikskraan-ad-onbev.JPG
    10.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back