• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

J. de la Berge (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I know it is not an etymology question, but does anyone know the first name of J. de la Berge the author of Alcedo meninting verreauxii?

No doubt to whom he dedicated the name as he wrote:

Cette belle espèce, qui a été rapportée de Borneo par M. S. Müller, est dédiée à M. Jules Verreaux.

Maybe a descent of Alexandre Louis de La Berge (1809-1839) here? Or some relationship to Albano Marchais de Laberge? Or is he Jean Baptiste Gustave La Berge (1817-1892)?

Last edited:
The debated "Alcedo Verreauxii" was also mentioned, but shorter, the previous year (1850). This bird/guy have earlier been dealt with/mentioned in the older BirdForum thread The various Mr. Verreaux's and their Birds … (here, see posts #50-51).

Who Monsieur J. De La Berge was? I still haven't got a clue.

From here Bulletin de la Société de linguistique de Paris it might make sense to look for a brother of Camille de la Berge (1837-1878). My assumption came from the fact that his brother was a famous artist. Maybe the Lebrun on the plate?

Anyway not listed longer in Rollers, ground rollers, kingfishers – IOC World Bird List Z. Therefore I am not sure if entry The Key to Scientific Names - Birds of the World ...

subsp. Alcedo meninting
...is still correct.

P.S. OD may have been sér.2:t.2 (1850) - Revue et magasin de zoologie pure et appliquée - Biodiversity Heritage Library and not sér.2:t.3 (1851) - Revue et magasin de zoologie pure et appliquée - Biodiversity Heritage Library plus plate sér.2:t.3 (1851) - Revue et magasin de zoologie pure et appliquée - Biodiversity Heritage Library

The last I mentioned ( Jean Baptiste Gustave) has an entry in Leonore here.
Birth Visionneuse - Archives de Paris p. 34 &35 of 51 as Jean Baptiste Gustave Marchais de la Berge.

His father may have been...
Jean Marchais de la Berge , négociant , demeurant à Paris , rue Saint - Joseph , no 8 , suivant un pouvoir du 9 mai
...in the year 1847

There was also a Jean Baptise Ossian Marchais de Laberge Visionneuse - Archives de Paris p. 31 of 31 (but I see no connection to natural history)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back