• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glaucestrilda perreini (Vieillot, 1817) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Glaucestrilda perreini (Vieillot, 1817) OD t.12 (1817) - Nouveau dictionnaire d'histoire naturelle - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Le nom que J'ai donnè à cette espèce, est celui de l'estimable et zélé naturaliste, qui le premier l'a fait connoître.

Cinnyris Perreini Vieillot, 1823 pt.2 - Tableau encyclopédique et méthodique des trois règnes de la nature - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Waxbill Estrilda perreini Vieillot, 1817 [Alt. Black-tailed Waxbill]
Perrin's Bush-shrike Telophorus viridis Vieillot, 1817 [Alt. Gorgeous Bush-shrike]
Jean Perrein (1750–1805) was a French naturalist who travelled and collected in northern Africa, Cabinda, Arabia, Persia and India. He presented his specimens to the Academy of Sciences of Bordeaux, where he was elected an associate member. He went to North America (1794) and visited Hudson Bay, the Rockies, Quebec, Ontario and all the New England states. He died of malaria on his return journey to France. Buffon (q.v.) used many of his manuscripts in his own works. Perrein's Voyage chez les Indiens de l'Amerique du Nord, avec un Aperçu des Usages et du Caractère de ces Peuples was published posthumously (1809). The use of 'Perrin's Bush-shrike' as a common name for Telophorus viridis is something of a mystery, but Perrin is an anglicised version of Perrein, and the German name for this species is 'Perreinwürger'.

Jean Perrein (1750-1805) French naturalist, collector in tropical Africa (?syn. Cinnyris sp., Glaucestrilda).

I just ask myself if he may be born 1756 Question - Guichet du Savoir

No idea where this dates derived from or probably from Biographie Universelle Classique. Biographie Universelle, Ou Dictionnaire Historique, Etc or Nouvelle biographie générale depuis les temps les plus reculés jusqu'à nos jours, avec les renseignements bibliographiques et l'indication des sources à consulter: Paa-Phi . The same The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record ?

Last edited:
In An American biographical and historical dictionary (containing an account of the lives, characters, and writings of the most eminent persons in North America from its first settlement, and a summary of the history of the several colonies, and of the United States), by William Allen, 1809 (here, alt. here), we find the following entry (on page 474):

PERREIN (Jean).jpg

So he died 06. April 1805. ...
Nope, I don't think so. ;)

Martin, if you had only read the Introduction in the same book [*] you would have seen that it clearly says:
[...]
... In this volume we finished the Deaths from the Providence Gazette ...
[...]
Please bear in mind in reading these dates that in every case where the word GAZETTE OF precedes the date it means that the DEATH or MARRIAGE was published in that issue, and where the word GAZETTE does not precede the date given it is the date of the said DEATH or MARRIAGE.
[...]

I'd say that the date given/shown (in post #2) ought to be the date of publication, of the Gazette itself (thus, not the Date when Mr/Monsieur Jean Perrein died).

Thus, without having seen the Providence Gazette itself (of/from that particular date) I'd assume that he did pass away in/at the (very) end of March, 1805 (I've tried to find a digitized copy of it, but without success).

Good luck if/in trying to find it! And his End.

Björn

PS. Neither have I found digitized copies of the (more nearby/closer/adjacent) "New York spectator, April 3, 1805" (see post #4), nor of the "New York Daily Advertiser, 1 Apr. 1805" (as mentioned in the 'Thomas Jefferson' text, in the first link of Mark's post #5).

*Vital Record of Rhode Island. 1636–1850. First Series. Births, Marriages and Deaths. A Family Register for the People. Vol XIV. Providence Gazette—Deaths K to Z. Marriages A B C, 1762-1825, by James N. Arnold, 1905, (full volume here).

Last edited:
“of an apoplectic fit in his 55th year Dr. Jean Perrein a native of France and a member of the Society of Sciences and Belle Lettres Bordeaux”

Deaths from the Daily Visitor or Lady’s Miscellany 1805.

The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record .
l'Académie Nationale des Sciences, Belles-Lettres et Arts de Bordeaux?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back