• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher Ecuador (1 Viewer)

dannybregman

Hi everyone,

Today I saw this flycatcher in north-west Ecuador at an altitude of 1500 meters. I don't know what it is, can anyone help?

Danny

Attachments

• Flycatcher.jpg
    Flycatcher.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 44
I think I agree, although one might expect to see more of a crest. Sierran rather than Highland based on relatively long bill, fairly pronounced eye ring

So you would rather say Acadian flycatcher than sierran elaenia?

I think one of the flycatchers (acadian, willow, alder) is a better match than the Elaenia. I have very limited experience of these. Assuming it's one of them, I was wondering how sure we were it's acadian: I guess the eye ring is good, but I understand the wing bars should be whitish (buffish here), and the legs are dark (apparently should be greyish)

Mostly Empidonax flycatchers should be identified by sound. Unless only one of the species migrate to that area?

Niels

After looking in my (old) copy of sibley, I now agree it's an immature acadian flycatcher. I think the relatively long primary projection rules out the other two species. It's immature for the reasons I suggested previously

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back