• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inland Fulmars (1 Viewer)

Binocularface

You've all got one...............!
Hi

Is anyone on this forum aware of any records of fulmars breeding (or attempting to breed) inland?
My reason for asking is because today I observed two Fulmars prospecting on a cliff face that was almost 9Km inland.

Regards
Tristan

Tristan R said:
Hi

Is anyone on this forum aware of any records of fulmars breeding (or attempting to breed) inland?
My reason for asking is because today I observed two Fulmars prospecting on a cliff face that was almost 9Km inland.

Regards
Tristan

Fulmars used to/may still breed along the western edge of the North Yorks Moors, between Sutton Bank and Guisborough. Only small numbers though, upto 4 pairs.
source
'Rare & Scarce Birds in Yorkshire' Andrew Wilson & Russell Slack

They breed on Arthur's seat in the middle of Edinburgh. Its not very far inland, but it is completely surrounded by a capital city, which makes it a bit unusual.

Tom

There is a persistent old wives' tale in Iceland, which otherwise intelligent people often peddle, that Fulmars can only fly if they can see the sea. In fact there are many pairs of Fulmar breeding well inland in Iceland, the farthest up to 50 km from the sea, usually in deep canyons along glacial rivers.

E

There's a colony a few miles inland at Balmullo in Fife (in a quarry). I think they're also supposed to breed somewhere around Loch Leven.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
There's a colony a few miles inland at Balmullo in Fife (in a quarry). I think they're also supposed to breed somewhere around Loch Leven.
Yeah, they previously nested on Benarty hill in Kinross-shire during their golden years in the 80s (which is essentially a land-locked county); though I haven't seen any there for many years now.

The Balmullo birds sometimes fly over the house on their way to and from the colony, although they mostly pass over Leuchars.

Rob

There were still a few pairs on Roseberry Topping near Guisborough in North Yorks, when I moved away about 5 years ago. About 10 miles inland.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back