• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about the Monarch ATB 8x36 (1 Viewer)

mikefitz6

I had a pair of Leica 8x20 binos on hold and the more I read, the more I thought they might be too small. I was looking for binos smaller than my Pentax DCF WP 8x42. Easy to store in the car, lighter for hiking and able to use for some astronomy. (I have scopes for serious astronomy).

I compared them to the Leupold Katmai 8x32's before I decided to buy them. I was ready to buy the Leupolds because they were smaller than the Nikons. (I will apologize now for not knowing the correct terms.) I was surprised that the Nikons seemed to show less curvature at the outer edge of the FOV (straight post) and appeared to be sharper farther out in the FOV.

So far so good.

Then I went out tonight to compare the Pentax to the Nikons. The Nikons showed a big X on all bright lights. It is evident on the moon and on street lights. The X had a greater angle on the top and bottom. It is really obvious. Then I noticed it on the Pentax also. The angle on the X on the Pentax is greater on the left and right, and about half or less the brightness of the Nikon X. If anyone has looked through a newtonian refractor, it is similar but much larger, almost to the edge of the FOV, and more distracting. I just checked my Orion 15x70's - no X, although more obvious CA.

Is this normal? Most of the time I won't be looking at the moon or streetlights, especially the streetlights, so I would assume this should not usually be a problem. I am still a little concerned with it though.

Is this something that is not evident on more expensive binos?

I appreciate your help.

Mike

See this for a previous thread on this effect (diffraction spikes from the roof edge of a roof prism) on these bins (and tests on other bins).

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1312072

It's diffraction from the (not sharp enough) roof edge.

The 8x36 Monarchs were the worst I'd seen. I presumed it was a poor sample but perhaps not. There are better bin choices out there (even the 42mm Monarch is better and about to be updated).

I find it rather less prominent in other bins and nearly (or completely) absent from the top brands (including the Pentax WP and SP).

Last edited:
Thanks Paul and Kevin,

I am just about ready to order some Nikon SE's. They seem to be the best binos at this price point ($500) for what I want. It seems the roofs that will meet my criteria will cost quite a bit more than that.

Off to the store to return the Nikons.

Mike

I don't know why the 8x36 Monarchs are so bad with this. As I mentioned in the other thread I though it was a defective pair (and though it odd to have such a bad pair as demo) and tried to explain it to the "general purpose REI salesperson". They couldn't see it.

There are plenty of other lower priced roofs that don't have this problem (though I do like the SE but you don't have to jump to that).

Thanks Paul and Kevin,

I am just about ready to order some Nikon SE's. They seem to be the best binos at this price point ($500) for what I want. It seems the roofs that will meet my criteria will cost quite a bit more than that.

Mike

Nikon has a new improved Monarch coming soon dielectric prism coatings, etc., if you are not in a hurry,
take your time and see about the new one.

Rest assured, the 8x32SE will be much better optically in any case, as they are about as good as it gets. ;) But if you want a nice light, waterproof choice then take a look at some others.

Jerry

Kevin,

Could you share some of your recommendations for roofs?

Thanks

Mike

I think it's time to start reading the forum there are lots of choices and lots of price points.

Zen Ray are pretty good. The dielectric Monarch could be interesting. Vortex have plenty of interesting bins. So do Bushnell.

Start a new thread and describe your needs, price point and the like.

Thanks Paul and Kevin,

Mike

For compact reasonably priced binoculars to be used for grab and go astronomy I believe you should be looking at porro prism models with a minimum 4mm exit pupil. 8x32, 7x35, etc. Check out the Vixen Foresta 8x32 or the larger 8x42 if the glove box in your car is big enough. and there are several 7x35 porros on the market.

Last edited:
The 8x36 Monarch is known to be sub-standard compared to the 8x42 version. I quite like my 8x42 Monarch. It is light weight, it handles great, I really like it´s focus wheel and if offers "relaxed" viewing. It´s not a modern glass like the zen rays but it works and I often see it around birders necks, I can understand why.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back