• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldcrests feigning death. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

On a canal walk this morning I spoke with a gentleman birder who was passing and we exchanged our sightings which as it happened were nothing out of the ordinary, he did say that he had been watching displaying Goldcrests. As I carried on towards a bridge where Goldcrests are normally seen I spotted what looked to be a bird falling from a tree to the ground. On inspection with binoculars it turned out to be 2 Goldcrests that were motionless and looked for all the world to be dead! I took a few photo's and was amazed at what I had just witnessed. Then after a couple of minutes to my further amazement one the birds took flight followed under a minute later by the second bird! I presumed they were the displaying/ defending territories Goldcrests that the gentleman had been watching earlier.
I was in the right place at the right time! Birding brings some unusual sights we never expect at times!

Has anyone ever come across this before? I have just been reading that bird ringers have sometimes had birds that 'feign death'.

Attachments

• P1150297.JPG
    P1150297.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 91
  • P1150301.JPG
    P1150301.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 61
  • P1150302.JPG
    P1150302.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 65
Fascinating.

Could they have both so carried away with their interaction that they both fainted from temporary high blood pressure (a bit like eg goats)

I will go with exhaustion/ high blood pressure. The birds must have been locked together by claws or beaks as it looked as though just one bird had 'floated' down to the ground.

What an amazing sight and observations too Pam. I can't add anything to the thoughts as to what was happening though.

Hope you and the family are good lass.

I doubt I will see such an event again Delia!

All good here thank you, I trust with you also, Delia. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back