• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird in my yard (1 Viewer)

CFitzRN

Hello, I am a very fledgling birder ;) from Western North Carolina, US. Today I saw a bird in my yard whilst watching my bluebird nesting box and I swear I don't think I've ever seen one of these birds and can't find anything on it using the online bird identifiers. I'm stumped! Any help would be so very appreciated.

The bird is medium-large - about the size of a mourning dove, but more upright looking - as a partridge might be. It was rooting in the grass for insects (it appeared). It was grayish and white, with brown specks and gray wings. It had a very distinct black semi-circle on its breast (the flat side facing upward) and a very bright reddish-orange patch on the back of its head. It also had a beautiful electric-blue color on its back. It was very interesting! I've looked and looked and can't find a thing! Any guesses? Thanks.

Except for the blue, which could have been reflected from the sky, I agree that it sounds exactly like a Northern Flicker and was foraging exactly like a Northern Flicker.

That's exactly what it was!! You have no idea how much better I feel just knowing this. I've no idea why, but I do. Haha. Thanks everyone, so much!! You guys are goooood.

I'm thinking the "electric blue" color was a reflection as well. It did look pretty bright though. Thanks again everyone! Is this bird rare? I've honestly never seen one - ever.

Ed: Nevermind - I looked it up and it is definitely NOT rare. I guess I just never noticed them before. Suffice it to say I'll be noticing them now. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say, they aren't rare most places I know of, but wasn't sure about your area. Though they are common the places I've lived, I didn't see them frequently, except when some moved into our neighborhood for 2 years - but even then, I didn't see them often.

I'm thinking the "electric blue" color was a reflection as well. It did look pretty bright though. Thanks again everyone! Is this bird rare? I've honestly never seen one - ever.

Ed: Nevermind - I looked it up and it is definitely NOT rare. I guess I just never noticed them before. Suffice it to say I'll be noticing them now. :)

Happy for you!

Just revel in the joy of seeing a great bird you've not seen before! :t:

Congratulations!

Oh!

And WELCOME to Bird Forum! ;)

Getting a good look like you got is a little bit unusual. They are most often seen flying, with their obvious white rump and bright yellow (in North Carolina) under the wings and tail.

Not sure of what others have observed, but I have not found Northern Flickers to be very sociable birds in my experience. I only see them during the Winter months when they migrate south into my area and they tend to keep their distance from humans, so you might not see or notice them as often as other Woodpeckers which do come to my backyard suet feeders. I've never had a Flicker come into my backyard, but have often observed them feeding on the ground or on the trunk of a tree out beyond my backyard fence along the outer edges of my 2.5 acre lot and they fly at the first sign of my trying to get close for a decent photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back