• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray bird in box (2 Viewers)

qexnar

United States
Hi all,

My son (6) and I built a bird house last weekend, hoping to attract a Black Capped Chickadee (his favorite!). The box has a 1 and a quarter inch hole.

I thought we were too late in the season but to my amazement something moved in the very next day! I’m very new to bird watching so I was helping for hope identifying it.

We live in SE Michigan, USA. The bird is larger than a sparrow but I can’t really tell if it’s American Robin sized or somewhere in between that and sparrow. It has a grey head and back and a white belly. Both colors are consistent with no variation I’ve noticed. It has a moderately long and very narrow tail. It has a small head without a tuft, and a shortish black beak. I haven’t noticed any other field marks. It’s been flying around the box picking up sticks and bringing them in the box.

My first thought was a grey catbird, but I don’t notice any black on its head or tail. Eastern peewee was another thought but the head seems more extended from the body like a robin then tight in like a house wren. Eastern phoebe is another that seems possible, but again no black head.

Any help? I’ll try and get a picture.

Last edited:
In general, when looking at a new bird, the first thing to notice is the shape of the beak. Is it triangular, like on a junco? More elongated and/or slightly curved, like on an american robin? Thick at the base but pointier than a sparrow, like on a red-winged blackbird? Small and slightly conical, like on a titmouse or chickadee? etc etc.

I don't think it's a phoebe - they don't usually nest in boxes, and they don't use sticks in their nests, just mud and grass and moss.
Nor a junco, for similar reasons.

Last edited:
Def. not a cowbird, I'm well acquainted with those. I'll try and notice more details about the beak next time I can get a close enough view. I've been looking through allaboutbirds and my current theory is Warbling Vireo. I didn't notice the white stripe above the eye and the belly didn't look yellowish to me, but it seems to match the clearly divided upper-brown/lower-white coloring. They're not super common in my area (never seen one before but I do see a few scattered reports around me on ebird). Would they use a box?

Def. not a cowbird, I'm well acquainted with those. I'll try and notice more details about the beak next time I can get a close enough view. I've been looking through allaboutbirds and my current theory is Warbling Vireo. I didn't notice the white stripe above the eye and the belly didn't look yellowish to me, but it seems to match the clearly divided upper-brown/lower-white coloring. They're not super common in my area (never seen one before but I do see a few scattered reports around me on ebird). Would they use a box?

Unlikely. And the nesting material would be grass and hair and spider silk.

Take a look at House Wren.

I recognize these pictures are really blurry but they’re the best I could get with my phone. I don’t think it’s a house wren as we have some in a box as well and this bird is noticeably larger. At least sparrow size, maybe more.

Edit: for size reference, the hole in the box is 1 and 1/4 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_5052.jpeg
    IMG_5052.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5051.jpeg
    IMG_5051.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5046.jpeg
    IMG_5046.jpeg
    732.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    927.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Binoculars. The first three pictures were taken at max zoom (15x) with my iPhone, the last two were taken at 3x zoom through my 10x42 binoculars

What would a Bewick's Wren look like?

Surely it can't be a House Wren if it appears larger than a sparrow? Image 3 appears the best. Maybe try and get in position a bit closer for closer pics with your phone for better pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back