• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested Tit (1 Viewer)

Phil Owen

Could anybody tell me the best place to see Crested Tit in May.

I am staying about 15 mins away from the Loch Garten area from Friday 2nd May until Monday 5th May.

I know they are in RSPB Loch Garten but assuming the feeders are not there, have heard they are a bit elusive in the breeding season.

Can anybody pinpoint me to the best places please as I really want this bird for my life list.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Phil

The feeders are there Phil. There's a live webcam link on all three of them. A crested tit is occasionally seen there.

A place where we have seen cresties is just before you enter Boat of Garten village, coming from the school end, there's a pull off for cars on your right. Park here then walk back a little way to a view-point. On the edge of the forest here there are some feeders. You must be patient but certainly worth half an hour. Red squirrels here often.

Sandra

We usually visit in May as well. We normally find them along the footpath on the south side of Loch Garten itself where it divides 100m from the car park. We've always seen them at Loch an Eilein. Last visit though Loch Morlich proved the best location as they were right beside the path in open scrubland with small trees rather than in the denser mature forest.

If you take some fat balls and bird seed with you and as soon as you arrive drive to the RSPB car park at Loch Garten. Theres a central area around which cars drive and if you feed this area Cresties will almost certainly come to the food. The best plan is to visit early morning before you start your days birding and last thing at night on your way back to your accomadation. This as never failed for me. Obviously don,t feed whole peanuts in the breeding season
Malcolm Gosling

Learn the call - they're quite easy to find in that area once you know what to listen for!

Stuart

Just about to post the same advice! 90% of the Crested Tits I find (although this is on the continent rather than in Scotland), I find "by ear" - careful looking then usually produces a sighting. Listen for the distinctive rolling scolding harsh sounding, but cheerful, trill 'drrrurret'. A bit like a Long-tailed Tit with a VERY bad head cold!

John

Last edited:
Yep agree totally on finding them by call....... 90% of the time at least it's the way I find them away from a feeder. The call once learnt is unmistakable, and they're very vocal, and surprisingly seem to respond better the more noise you make too! A barking black lab works wonders I find, seemingly drawing in every Crestie for miles around!! (Though probably not recommended during the Caper breeding season!)

J

If you know the call (tape/cd??) easey - east side of Loch an Eilean just where the trees end is good too. They are a lot less elusive than people make out. I often have them coming down to within 6 feet - seems like to have a look at this strange being!!!

And they only appear when you are not looking for them, deliberately hiding the more you search. Pretend you are having lunch or reading a newspaper which really winds them up and they'll eventually give in by uttering a giveway trill to attract your attention. Try it.

J

Last edited:
Yep agree totally on finding them by call....... 90% of the time at least it's the way I find them away from a feeder. The call once learnt is unmistakable, and they're very vocal, and surprisingly seem to respond better the more noise you make too!
J

I always seem to fall into the other 10%! I once spent over an hour trying to nail one particulary bird which turned out to be a chaffinch indulging in a spot of mimicry - something I've not come across before.

The walk from Loch Garten to Loch Mallachi always turns up trumps for us.

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back