• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Service/Warranty (1 Viewer)

I have just bought a pair of Opticron Discovery 10x42 & they are the best Binoculars I have ever had & I have had Leica, Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss (so called top 4), Bresser, Viper, Minox, etc- etc. Im not saying the other Binos Ive mentioned are rubbish, quite the opposite, but some people think that because the Binos are expensive, then they must be better than the cheaper ones. Have you ever thought, that these companies have built up a reputation over the years & are now just churning out binoculars which are exactly the same as the cheaper alternatives & just putting their name on the side & charging ridiculous prices. My Opticron cost me under £100 & Im very happy with them. You see I pay my money for what I am looking for in a binocular, the build, the optics. NOT the name & how expensive they are.... The first post was to congratulate Opticron on there excellent service, so lets get back on the right road..

Kindof strikes me there's too much alcohol on this thread.

Have to say that anyone who's dealt with Opticron can only be impressed. They are just the most helpful people. I've got old 8x40 HR's which have been through the wars but still hold up optically against the Swarovski's of this world.

All that glitters is not gold.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give a good word for Opticron here and some reassurance for potential Opticron buyers.

My Wife has a pair of 8x42 DBA's that I bought for her as a present in September 1999. She loves them, uses them every week and wouldn't change them for anything.

Recently, the focus wheel has started to go a little 'loose' around the mid-point changeover and one of her pull out eyepieces became stiff and virtually immovable.

We sent them to Opticron Service last week for attention (hopefully) under the 30 year warranty and were delighted when they came back this week, a mere 3 working days after we had first despatched them and with the focus and eyepieces restored to 'as new' operation and the invoice slip marked 'no charge'.|:d|

Excellent and fuss free service.

Steve

Sent my BGA Countryman off for repair on Wednesday last week,as they are my only bins I was without any and fearing the worst re return time. I need not have worried as I received them back today,3 working days later.Well done Opticron. Slightly worryingly though, the fault has been the same one that I had repaird a couple of years ago, excessively loose pop up eye cup (which eventually fell off) so I am hoping they last a little longer this time.

Opticron's service may be good :t: but when I bought my new binos with a 10 year warranty. I was shocked to see you only get the first 5 years free parts and labour :t: Then the other 5 years you get free parts but got to pay for labour :C Should take a look at Vortex VIP warranty :t: :t:

I´ve had occasion to use the after-sales/repair service of Nikon(UK), Swarovski and Opticron. All were first-class. Both Swaro and Nikon have sent me, free of charge, replacement lens-caps. Opticron distinguished themselves by repairing, free of charge, the focussing-wheel on an MM2 scope for which I had no sales receipt, and for which the year of purchase I couldn´t remember (but it was well past any labour-warranty).

No offence mate, but do you guys ever get out birding? Or are you constantly on birdforum with a pair of binoculars sellotaped to your head?

;););)
No offence to you, Rob, but you go on a binocular-thread to take the p..s out of people for talking about binoculars?;) What were you expecting, IBWO arguments?;) Allow us the luxury of our obsessions....

BTW, I got a pair of Opticron DBA Oasis 8x21. They are my new fave compacts. 7.5 degree FOV, sharp up to the edge, crystal-clear and feel like a comfortable, small pair of 8x32 in the hand when "opened".

Who will then return them to the USA for you.

The distributor will give you a new bin/scope ... so it's a local return (from the end user POV).

But hey make your choice. UK based resellars are easier to deal with. Then EU ones. Then the US ones.

The major problem with the latter (or any outside the EU) is making sure you don't get dinged for import duty on a set you send out for repair (you already paid) and then get returned and have to pay duty again.

I was told you just send them back to the importers which I think is Marchwood. If talking about the Vortex.

I'm sure this is right, I do know people who have had to send Vortex bins to Marchwood and the service has been very fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back