• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May, New Jersey (1 Viewer)

Red Tails Rock said:
I have read so much about this place, I know its on the coast, but why is it such a hotspot for Birding?
Has anyone been there?

Discuss.

It is at the point where the Delaware River meets the Atlantic Ocean. Migratory birds from all along the Eastern seaboard "funnel" down to the tip of NJ before crossing the Delaware Bay.

It's a well organized place being the home of the Cape May Bird Observatory with the NJ wetlands Institute nearby in Stone Harbor.A little further north is the Brigantine wetlands that is both brackish and freshwater.Lots to see in southern NJ.
Sam

"Been there and done that", Stone Harbor, Cape May Point, Edwin B. Forsythe (Brigantine or "Brig", for short).

New Jersey is on a major flyway for migrating birds. They also have "hawk watches" at Cape May.

Cape May is also the place where the World Series of Birding (I think it is called) began. Various teams of (usually, four birders) bird for a 24 hour period seeing how many different species they can see. If I remember correctly, this event is usually held in the month of May.

Good Birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back