Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Benny the beluga: Whale still thriving in River Thames

Old Monday 19th November 2018, 07:55   #1
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Benny the beluga: Whale still thriving in River Thames

I still can't decide if this is a good thing... I'm sure some idiots will cause it's death at some point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46255755
Old Monday 19th November 2018, 16:54   #2
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKten View Post
I still can't decide if this is a good thing... I'm sure some idiots will cause it's death at some point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46255755
The point is simply that its a vagrant animal that is currently thriving, and there isn't anything to be done. Not only that, but it isn't a human responsibility to do anything! Its neither good nor bad - it just is....

I have half an idea that it might winter, and then feel the urge to migrate northwards, but that's just me.

If its still around beyond December 31 I will probably go and get it on a second year list. I might go before that in the hope of getting a proper head shot (with the camera!), if there's nothing else to do.

John
Old Monday 19th November 2018, 17:05   #3
Alan henry

In the UK at the moment so would be great to see it, where is it being seen at the moment?

Cheers

Alan
Old Monday 19th November 2018, 19:57   #4
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan henry View Post
In the UK at the moment so would be great to see it, where is it being seen at the moment?

Cheers

Alan
If its still using the same areas, your best bet is to stake it out at Poundland in Gravesend (this is not a joke!)

Park in the Imperial Retail Park North of Thames Way, off a roundabout, (the post code of the Asda that is by the entrance is DA11 0DQ). Walk to the North East corner of the car park and up to the paved walk overlooking the Thames. Just to your right is a short pier and a mooring buoy, and when I saw it a month ago it was often near that buoy: but it can be anywhere in that stretch of river. NB Parking is pay and display!

If it isn't there it can sometimes be found down river (you'll need to drive) from the sea wall stretching East towards Cliffe from Mark Lane - The Ship and Lobster pub is NOT the place to park, strictly customers only, you'll need to fit in along the lane somewhere. Post code for the pub is DA12 2QB. Once parked, follow the lane out to the sea wall and head East. The beluga was often either near a green buoy towards the North Bank or around moored barges nearer the South bank, both things being beyond about three or four piers/jetties.

Talk to the locals, they've been very interested in and protective towards the Beluga and may have up-to-date gen.

Good hunting!

John
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 10:58   #5
Farnboro John

For those wondering, no sign of Beluga since 25 November per RBA.

John
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 11:22   #6
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
For those wondering, no sign of Beluga since 25 November per RBA.
Presume there will have been active birders in the area, so would have been picked up unless it's moved to an inaccesible area??
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 11:58   #7
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Presume there will have been active birders in the area, so would have been picked up unless it's moved to an inaccesible area??
I guess so. It was fairly mobile though, using quite a length of the river. You could be on it and it would vanish and the next thing you know there's a message about it being a mile or more away. So I would be surprised if it got into one difficult place and stayed there.

I don't know what the source of RBA's gen is: the Beluga was being monitored by hydrophone so it may really have gone. Without wanting anyone to dip, I kind of hope it has, and finds its way back North.

John
Old Thursday 13th December 2018, 20:26   #8
dantheman
Bah humbug

Thanks John. Still there apparently -

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...=367694&page=4

Might well try and tie this in with the relatives over Christmas.
Old Thursday 13th December 2018, 21:19   #9
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Thanks John. Still there apparently -

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...=367694&page=4

Might well try and tie this in with the relatives over Christmas.
I would guess he's still using much the same area - certainly the latest report suggests that - so its Poundland and Mark Lane best bets.

Good luck!

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: