• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beluga, North Mainland, Shetland (1 Viewer)

What is the nearest these are usually found? Also are rare cetacean sightings becoming more frequent around the U.K?
Cheers
Andy

This map on the NOAA website shows their range, mostly well north of Norway. Svalbard probably the closest to us. I've seen other maps showing them as far south as northern Iceland, but the image resolution was poor and I couldn't read the key to the map.
beluga_whale_range.png

Obviously they've ventured south on occasion - as mentioned in Winterwatch tonight this was the 6th sighting around Shetland I think since the 1970s, and there was one in the Thames in 2018 and one in the Seine in 2019.

Shown on Winterwatch last night.

I was happy with my proper sighting in the Thames Estuary even if slightly less scenic.

I was on Shetland when the Thames Estuary Beluga turned up and you've never seen such stressed twitchers as me and Roy... we considered flying off but in the end gritted it out and went as soon as we got back - even then I dipped the first attempt!

Finally scoring I made the locals jump with my roar of "she blows!"

John

This map on the NOAA website shows their range, mostly well north of Norway. Svalbard probably the closest to us. I've seen other maps showing them as far south as northern Iceland, but the image resolution was poor and I couldn't read the key to the map.
beluga_whale_range.png

Obviously they've ventured south on occasion - as mentioned in Winterwatch tonight this was the 6th sighting around Shetland I think since the 1970s, and there was one in the Thames in 2018 and one in the Seine in 2019.
One of those quiz style maps, takes ages to work out what you're looking at and I still haven't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back