• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (9 Viewers)

John, has anyone seen any mink at Tice's? They are a major problem at Moor Green Lakes - all the BHGs and Common terns have failed this year.

John

John,

no Mink but did see a couple of Muntjak, the first I'd seen in the area, a month or so ago. I guess these might have an effect on breeding songbirds if theye were to explode in population size.

Rich

PS

No Muntjak where I am but did bag two Moose yesterday!

For John H,

the Country Recorder has asked for a description of the Sanderling on 30 May. My UK notebook is at home. Has he approached you and if so can you provide a description? Apperently Sanderling are a rarity in outer Surrey although given the ones we have had you wouldn't believe it.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Nope not been asked by anyone officially, prob a bit late now given I did'nt make any notes at the time. You & I know what we saw so not fussed to be honest. The large passage of Sanderling at other inland sites & prevailing winds etc would support the claim too.

Cheers & hope the trips going well,

John.

John, has anyone seen any mink at Tice's? They are a major problem at Moor Green Lakes - all the BHGs and Common terns have failed this year.

John

Hi John,

No I've not seen any Mink at Tices but could explain the sudden disappearance / desertion. I'd considered the usual suspects, Magpies, Herons etc, sorry to hear about Moor Green. A real shame at Tices, the Terns were looking good for a good breeding season, not seen any BHG chicks yet either!

Cheers,

John.

Re - Sanderling

Rich,

Just looked back through previous posts on this thread, John Clark saw the Sanderling PM on the 30th. Perhaps the recorder will be reassured given his Hants counterpart saw it too!

Cheers,

John.

Rich,

Just looked back through previous posts on this thread, John Clark saw the Sanderling PM on the 30th. Perhaps the recorder will be reassured given his Hants counterpart saw it too!

Cheers,

John.

Thanks John. Trip is going well, 55 lifers to date although I am running out of birds around here. Now have to travel a bit further - had to drive 5 hours this weekend - slightly better than twitching though as I did see about 15 lifers.

Agreed with the Sanderling.

Rich

Better news this morning, 4 Common Tern juvs seen on the workings, great stuff! Still at least 5 LRP's around, Little Grebe on nest, 4 Stock Dove, 2 Reed Bunting, 2 Reed Warbler, 3 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, 4 Whitethroat, & single Lapwing.

John.

Better news this morning, 4 Common Tern juvs seen on the workings, great stuff! Still at least 5 LRP's around, Little Grebe on nest, 4 Stock Dove, 2 Reed Bunting, 2 Reed Warbler, 3 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, 4 Whitethroat, & single Lapwing.

John.

John,

what are the water levels like now? Rich H seemed to think they were still pumping out which does not bode well for reverse migration. We've had a pretty mediocre year with regards to wader migration (only a couple of Greenshanks?) and it would be nice if the return leg improved somewhat.

Rich

Hi Rich,

The water levels seem the same to me, I've not heard the pump working on any of my recent visits. With the recent heavy rain, there is now more standing water & the workings look pretty good for the return passage as long as we don't get another prolonged spell of dry weather. I agree that the Spring passage was not that impressive in terms of no's but we still managed some quality with a site first in the Grey Plovers, the Whimbrel, & the Sanderling.

Cheers,

John.

If the pump does start again it might be worth chaning yourself to it singing 'we shall overcome'.

Correct about the Grey Plover and Whimbrel but wader passage in general was not as good as it was last year. Seem to remember loads of Greenshank or maybe I was still wearing rose tinted glasses after Afghanistan. I seem to remember reading that Beddington's passage was low compared to last year and funnily enough Wader passage here was disjointed due to high water levels and lack of mud.

Sixteen Common Terns inc the 4 juvs this morning, a new Coot family inc 4 chicks. Two Buzzard were seen reccying this workings so the adults need to be vidulant. A pair of LRP's were observed mating, surely too late now to breed?

John.

Sanderling/Mink

I saw the Sanderling on the afternoon of May 30th with Keith Betton, my successor as Hants recorder! I did make a few notes so I have sent them to Eric Soden. I stated that John H was the finder and that Rich saw it later. Trust that is correct!

Glad to hear that some Common Tern chicks are surviving. Mink are a major problem at Moor Green and have caused mass failures of terns and BHGs for the last five years or so. They have trapped some mink there but I gather they aim to increase their efforts as clearly there are still some at large. Given that Tice's is in the same valley, I'd be surprised if mink don't occur there too. The Blackwater Valley people must have some idea of the distribution of mink in the valley.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for passing on your notes regarding the Sanderling, you are correct I was the finder. I was very pleased to see the juv Terns yesterday, I had previously counted a max of 5 chicks so not a bad result with 4 remaining & developing well.

Cheers,

John.

The young Common Terns are now airborne, LRP's still very prominant around the workings, & at least 5 singing Reed Warblers this morning. Still no signs of return passage yet despite Green / Common Sands returning to local sites this week, we'll see what the weekend brings!
Also I noted that the pump was working this morning, lets hope that they leave enough water in the workings for a decent return migration!

John.

On this mornings watch another Common Tern chick noted & a juv LRP seen on one of the silt pools, still no other waders yet though!

John.

Min of 8 LRP's this morning very vocal they were too! 19 Common Terns inc 4 juvs & the usual supporting cast of Warblers. Still waiting for return passage to kick off....

John.

Yes! finally things kick off with 3 Green Sands this morning, Lapwing no's building post/failed breeding with 12, & Female Gadwall with chick this morning.

John.

I wish it was Tice's

Walk around my temporary patch last night highlighted that Waders are now heading south on this side of the pond. One hours watching produced:

Greater Yellowlegs x 12
Lesser Yellowlegs x 2
Stil Sandpiper x 1 ?
Killdeer x 10
Willet x 2
Spotted Sandpiper x 1
Marbled Godwit x 5
Wilson's Snipe x 1
Wilson's Phalarope x 3
Franklin's Gull x 1
American Bittern x 1
American Black Tern x 2

I have not included all the passerines and wildfowl. What a difference 6000 miles make!

Last edited:
4 Green Sands this morning but very mobile around the workings & pools. Also 2 Buzzards over the meadow, & 5 juv Common Terns now on the wing. Reed Warblers continue to be the most numerous warbler at Tices at the moment with a min of 8 this morning. The pair of Little Grebes now have a newly fledged chick, & LRP no's have dwindled over the last few days to only 3 this morning. Perhaps some have already begun their long journey back to Africa.

John.

4 Green Sands this morning but very mobile around the workings & pools. Also 2 Buzzards over the meadow, & 5 juv Common Terns now on the wing. Reed Warblers continue to be the most numerous warbler at Tices at the moment with a min of 8 this morning. The pair of Little Grebes now have a newly fledged chick, & LRP no's have dwindled over the last few days to only 3 this morning. Perhaps some have already begun their long journey back to Africa.

John.

John.

good news with the Green Sands, seems things are picking up. I'm back at the end of the month just in time for reverse peak Wader migration. How's the water level looking?

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back