• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi ID please (1 Viewer)

joespy

Can anyone ID this "mushroom" please found on my garden.....is it one of the edible variety 'cos there's a few more. If they are then they're in the pan with the bacon......:t:
Cheers Joe

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
Could be field mushroom, if the others are growing in a clump or group then I'd say field....let them grow a bit, let them get bigger.

P.s. remember, if your not sure about a mushroom you should just leave it in the ground and photograph it there just incase it's of the poisonous variety!!

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

Although I'm pretty certain this is an (edible) Agaricus, before you even think about eating them I would make sure the gills turn brown when they're mature.

I say this because some Amanita species (eg A.virosa The Destroying Angel) can look a little similar to your photos, but with gills that remain white when they're mature.
The (really) poisonous species also have a sort of membranous sack that encases the bottom of hte stem (called a volva) - but your photo doesn't show whether this feature is present or not as the stem is broken.

I don't want to put you off having a nice meal, but it's best to put safety first when identifying edibles from a photo!

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Thanks all.....by answering this you know I've survived...:t:
I took the safe route and left them, although the gills did turn brown as Nick said, but by the time I'd fitted in all the bacon ...........there wasn't muchroom left in the pan......:-O
......I've got my coat.... thanks again
Cheers Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back