• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skipper ID help, Devon, UK (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

Having not seen either Small or Essex Skipper before (always Large, frustratingly) I'm unsure of an ID on these. I've looked online and the diagnostic feature is the underside of the antennae colour, so are these ID'able from these photos? I also see Essex Skipper is pretty rare down this way, but also that its range is expanding.

Many thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• P1080939.JPG
    P1080939.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P1090003_1200x800.jpg
    P1090003_1200x800.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 26
The second is definitely Small Skipper. Though the first shows dark to the upper antennal club, I still think this is also a Small, but a tricky angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back