• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated Woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

jbeans

Hello All!! I'm so very happy to have found you. I'm hoping someone can help me. Here's the story, I'll try to keep it short:

Two days ago I was out walking my dog when I noticed someone cut down a tree from their yard and dumped it down the bush road where I walk. The tree was just cut that morning as it wasn't there the night before. My dog heard the squeaks from within. Inside were 6 pileated woodpecker babies. Eyes open, and feathers JUST starting to show. 3 were already deceased. Must've been with the fall of the tree. The person just left them there to die, miles from their mom and dad.

Obviously I could not leave them there to die. I took the 3 survivors home. They were so weak they could barely lift their heads for the syringe of ground up worms. After a few hours they perked up. I started to call authorities for 2 reasons. To have these birds taken care of and to find the frigger who did this. And these are the answers I received:

Ministry of Natural Resources said they did not want to get involved as it was on private property that the illegal dumping occurred, and to contact the SPCA to have them look after the birds.

Humane Society (SPCA) told me to bring them back to where I found them and let them starve to death. They didn't want to get involved either.

Are these not a protected species, once even on the endangered species list? Nobody cares. I can't find help.

As for the babies:

I have 2 females and 1 male. Hope, Glory and Courage. Courage (the male) was having a hard time standing once he was strong. I've now realized his right leg is not working. Has no response in even his little toes. It's always pulled right up to his body. He tries to maneuver with his wings, but doesn't have the balance to even extend his neck to eat at times. The other two are doing great. I'm feeding them Exact Handfeeding baby bird formula and they are really taking to it.

I just don't know what to do. I certainly can't kill them or let them starve. But clearly Courage will never be okay. He won't be able to hang onto trees or ever even fly properly. No where in our small city do we have any wildlife rehabilitators. It's so sad.

Can someone give me pointers on how to raise them? What to feed them? And how to manage Courage? Will they know how to fly on their own? And Pileated Woodpeckers stay with their parents until fall to learn how to hunt down their insects. What do I do then?! OR is anyone experienced with them are willing to raise them?

I currently have 2 cats, 1 dog and 1 rabbit in addition to these birds! I feel like I'm running a zoo (and loving every minute of it!)

Thank you for any response! o:D

Last edited:
Poor things, since no one has answered try this organization. Hopefully they will take the birds OR they should be able to point you in the right direction:
http://www.wildbirdcarecentre.org/
I found them by goggling wild bird rehabilitation Ontario Canada

Thank you! I sent them an email. Hopefully they can help some way. I'd even be willing to deliver them, a 12 twelve hour drive one way from where I am!

Hi jbeans and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

I see that Lisa has given you some help, maybe this thread will be of use too.

Please let us know the outcome.

D

Hey jbeans

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hello JBeans. What a sad story, indeed. If you are anywhere near Ottawa there is a Wildbird Care Centre there too. They would help you. In Canada Pileated Woodpeckers are protected under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, even though they're not necessarily migratory. That act specifically prohibits destruction of nests, so whoever cut down that tree technically is probably in violation. One only hopes they did it by accident and not on purpose. The federal government has jurisdiction over birds covered by that act, which makes the Canadian Wildlife Service the agency responsible. Unfortunately there's nothing they could do to help with care of the young. They would likely give you the same advice you've already received in this forum.
I don't know much about care and feeding, but you can buy live mealworms at pet stores so I would start stuffing these or maybe crickets, also sold as pet food, into them. They need insects. They'll need water too. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back