• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saying hey (1 Viewer)

Ofthewoods

United States
Hi all,

I'm a new member but have been reading on the site for a bit. I like watching waves, birds and all wildlife really. I haven't ever done any star gazing but it sounds nice too. That being said I have developed a fondness for good binos.

But I don't have an unlimited budget so I end up reading threads with people comparing their older models to today's alpha glass.

I've dabbled in the used market but so far I haven't fared well:
Bought a pair of Leitz 7x42 B trinovids on FB marketplace that were supposed to be mint but have a huge glob on something inside, and the seller ghosted me.
Bought a pair of Leitz 10x40 trinovids off eBay but the objective is cracked right where it meets the body. Sad but will have to return them.

Maybe someone knows how to repair these, not sure if it's even worth it or if I should watch some YT videos and have a go at it.

The dilemma is do I buy Vortex UHD 8x or 10x42 Razors or just pony up for some used Swaros for the same price?

Anyways, enough rambling. Great site, I love reading all of the discussions and nuanced reviews.

Cheers.

First pic is the goober in the 7x42B, second is the crack and subsequent fungus in the 10x40.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120-000605.png
    Screenshot_20231120-000605.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20231120_045008920~2.jpg
    PXL_20231120_045008920~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome to BirdForum!

You may get a few more replies if you posted in the Binoculars section, some very helpful folk there.

Chris

Hi Ofthewoods and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back