• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone going out for the day Birdwatching on Christmas Day? (1 Viewer)

In the end I only got as far as the back garden for a couple of watches totalling an hour and 40 minutes. Very quiet, nothing moving.

Boxing Day at Rutland Water to look forward to now.

Steve

Been on the move for social stuff all day (fun really) but picked up the following: Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, 13 Carrion Crows holding court in one tree, Red Kite, Magpie, several Jays taking advantage of the absence of people to explore unusually quiet areas, Jackdaws, Pied and Grey Wagtails, Black-headed, Herring, Common and Lesser Black-backed Gulls patrolling overhead, Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits; Robin, Dunnock, Song Thrush, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Grey Heron, Mallard, Canada Goose, Nuthatch, Siskin, Redwing, Chaffinch, Goldfinch.

Merry Christmas everybody!

John

I'm with family in south-east London, but got half an hour round a local park because granny fancied a walk before lunch. Just the 8 species, including ring-necked parakeet, but that's probably my best for 25 December.

We had (for once) no family business on Christmas, and went for a walk in Kalmthout (One of the largest heath patches in Belgium). About 25 species, with best being Stonechat and Great Grey Shrike.
Much better then a fried Turkey :)

Spent the morning at RSPB Dungeness in the ARC Hanson hide. I did meet a few other birders in the 3 hours I was there. Well worth it even if the weather wasn't fantastic. Peregrine, marsh harrier, sparrowhawk, kingfisher, goldcrest, cetti's warbler, great white egret and best of all, my first ever photos of a bittern which showed fantastically in front of the hide!

Attachments

• IMG_0249e.jpg
    IMG_0249e.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0332e.jpg
    IMG_0332e.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 35
Herself and I went down to Toronto Christmas morning, looking for a reported Tufted Duck that had been reported along the shore of Lake Ontario. It was a cold and windy day, with about 15 cm of snow on the ground - made it a little hard to get around in the parks!

Saw a big, mixed flock close to shore, mostly Common Goldeneye and Greater Scaup, with a few Redhead, Bufflehead, and Long-tailed Duck mixed in. Dipped on the Tuftie, unfortunately (would have been a new bird for Ontario for both of us).

I feel jealous of your Bittern!!! Well done. I had my first visit to Dungeness in July 2017. Would love to see it in winter too.

Spent the morning at RSPB Dungeness in the ARC Hanson hide. I did meet a few other birders in the 3 hours I was there. Well worth it even if the weather wasn't fantastic. Peregrine, marsh harrier, sparrowhawk, kingfisher, goldcrest, cetti's warbler, great white egret and best of all, my first ever photos of a bittern which showed fantastically in front of the hide!

i went for a 4 hour walk on my patch no birds of note. As I do not celebrate Christmas nothing gets in my way. Love having the place to myself for most of the morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back