• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching by bus. (1 Viewer)

greer3

United Kingdom
We're fortunate to live in a rural location with an excellent bus service. Since retiring I've used a bus pass, so much so, that this week we filled up our small car with petrol for the first time in five months. We live near an estuary and some good inland birdwatching areas so if I can get there by bus, then that's what I'll use. Hopefully that's good for the environment and it's saving me a fortune in petrol.
As a bonus I've discovered some great new habitats, finding new locations for breeding and migratory birds; places I might not have found otherwise.
At the moment the government is subsidising bus fares; £2 for any journey for anyone without a bus pass, extended until October. I believe it will go up to £2.50 from then into 2024, so why not give it a go?
If you're of retirement age then use your bus pass if you've got a decent service which you can use for birdwatching and other activities. Use it or lose it. One day you might not be fit to drive and the bus might be a viable option to get you out and about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back