• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdsong Apps Disrespectful to Birds (1 Viewer)

? . . I'm guessing that a single birder using playback per day, but every single day, might have more effect that a big burst of "Excessive and prolonged use for photography" once a month.

Interesting piece of speculation, underscoring how feeble our grasp of the famous details where God (or the Devil) resides!

Question. This also happens in the wild right? Not the apps. But same species make the same noises, sing the same songs. So lets say I'm a bearded reedling and I'm having a wife and a nest. But then a fellow bearded reedling passes by on my territory. It makes the same noises as I do, and it sings the same song as I do. This is a perfectly natural happening, because there are lots and lots of bearded reedlings. Of course I try to make him go away, it's my territory! Heck yeah.
So my question is, what's the big deal? Why can't we use bird sounds? If I don't do it, maybe an other bird will do it. Isn't that kind of the same thing? Except from the fact that I'm not really a bird? If I and my app harm a breeding bird, than so will a random bird from the same species do. But that happens all the time, so is there really harm in using apps?

If I and my app harm a breeding bird, than so will a random bird from the same species do. But that happens all the time, so is there really harm in using apps?

If I'm interpreting this correctly ... you are saying that, since birds harm one another as a result of direct competition, then it's ok if humans harm birds (?)

Question. This also happens in the wild right? Not the apps. But same species make the same noises, sing the same songs. So lets say I'm a bearded reedling and I'm having a wife and a nest. But then a fellow bearded reedling passes by on my territory. It makes the same noises as I do, and it sings the same song as I do. This is a perfectly natural happening, because there are lots and lots of bearded reedlings. Of course I try to make him go away, it's my territory! Heck yeah.
So my question is, what's the big deal? Why can't we use bird sounds? If I don't do it, maybe an other bird will do it. Isn't that kind of the same thing? Except from the fact that I'm not really a bird? If I and my app harm a breeding bird, than so will a random bird from the same species do. But that happens all the time, so is there really harm in using apps?
The harm could come from the number of times it happens. Real birds only do it so often, but humans can potentially use playback far more often and far longer, and possibly at far greater volumes, etc.

And if the real bird wins, he takes over the territory and breeds there. If the humans win, they go home after and the bird doesn't breed.

Even if we could guarantee that humans only use it as often as occurs naturally, that would be doubling the occurence.

This illustrates the main problem with the apps.

Its now very easy and cheap to get access to sound files and portable players so that everyone can just go out and "play" with those things.
Often without knowing anything about their biological impact and the possible -often for us invisible- consequences.

Used at the right ime, at the right place, in the right dose and for the right reason we have a powerful tool on hand, but as with all great powers they have to be used correctly to avoid damage.

Given the number of far more serious issues birds face and their potential to cause extinction I am amazed that this topic merits so many column inches:C:C

Some of the people who have made the greatest advances in understanding various animals and plants were not certified and had no credentials, were not "researchers" except in an amateur sense, and may not have been "scientists" in any formal sense as we understand those words today. People like Audubon (who used a shotgun as a major tool to study birds), Fabre, Mendel come to mind and there are many others.

What makes a researcher a researcher and a scientist a scientist?
It's the way they work, not their educational or professional background.

Fabre, Mendel, yes even Darwin, and a whole lot of others where, when they started their research, "amateurs" in the true meaning of the word as they made their living as school teachers, clerics, medical doctors ....... and most never became full-time, paid scientists during their research careers.
As a matter of fact in those days a lot of the life science was part time business or hobby (Golgi, Cajal were medical doctors working with patients).

What they all did was that their work followed principles of scientific work that are outlined in the first chapter of many science related textbooks. That's what made them scientists.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back