• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possibility of influx into UK from the continent (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
The forecast for the latter part of this week and maybe into next is for strong easterly winds. That would suggest reasonable conditions for any migration which may be heading north over Europe in the near future to be blown towards the UK. I know that it is a little bit early and that Europe is not the warmest place right now which may put off early migrants but by the begininng of next week we are almost into the last week of March. What do others think of a small influx into the UK (with the possibility of a rarity) from about the weekend. Discuss (as they say in all good exam papers).

I think you've got to look at more than just the direction of the wind over the UK coast - you've got to consider the pressure systems over a much wider area

e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/pressure/

Yes, easterlies are coming in, but they're being dragged in from the Baltic by the high pressure building over Scandinavia (see Thursday's forecast chart for a good illustration). They won't have many migrants on.

For a good early drop of migrants on the east coast, I reckon you a want light south easterly airflow originating much further south. Look at http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/dathistcharts.asp (doesn't work in Firefox) for 20th March last year. These were classic conditions for early spring migrants in the southeast, resulting in 2 White-spotted Bluethroats and numerous Wheatear and Black Redstart at Landguard, Suffolk.

So, in summary - no, I don't think there's a great prospect for the weekend! (But maybe I'm biased - I'll be in the Lake District, so hope nothing spectacular turns up ;) )

dbradnum said:
I Yes, easterlies are coming in, but they're being dragged in from the Baltic by the high pressure building over Scandinavia. They won't have many migrants on.

If coming from the Baltics, they won't have ANY migrants on them ;) Still snow bound and sub-zero up here - haven't even had my first Starling or Skylark yet! Maybe you'll be lucky and get something knocked over from the near continent.

I was thinking of them being blown over the north sea as they made their way north as opposed to being blown all the way from the east if you see the subtle difference.

Incidentally, I have noted a strange thing about my first post in this thread. I just checked the thread, to see if there were any replies. I did this without logging in and to my surprise I noted a whole series of Google adverts just above my signature block (the worlds worst birder bit). I did not put them there and wondered how that happened. I logged in to get rid of them but now that I am logged in I cannot see them!! Can anyone else see about four adverts in my first post on this thread (post 1)?

I have just logged out and checked again and they are still there on my first post only. There are four of them and the first one is about safaris in Uganda. They don't appear on this post. It looks like I am endorsing these addies but I don't know anything about them.

I have just logged out again and they are still there but I have now noticed that such adverts appear around the signature block of everyone that makes the first post of a new thread but they are only visible (to me at least) when I look at the posts without being logged in. I am not really impressed by that as it appears that the initial poster is endorsing these addies and some may think that they are making money out of them. I may contact admin.

Last edited:
Hi Colin, I cannot see the adverts when I am logged on, but can when viewing as a guest. I have seen this happen before, so I presume it is just for guests to view?

Pam_m said:
Hi Colin, I cannot see the adverts when I am logged on, but can when viewing as a guest. I have seen this happen before, so I presume it is just for guests to view?

Thanks Pam. I have just reached that conclusion myself after a few trial and error loggings in and out. Glad it is not my eyes.

Colin said:
The forecast for the latter part of this week and maybe into next is for strong easterly winds. That would suggest reasonable conditions for any migration which may be heading north over Europe in the near future to be blown towards the UK. I know that it is a little bit early and that Europe is not the warmest place right now which may put off early migrants but by the begininng of next week we are almost into the last week of March. What do others think of a small influx into the UK (with the possibility of a rarity) from about the weekend. Discuss (as they say in all good exam papers).

Hi Colin

Within the last 24 hours on the pager systems we have had 3 night herons ( 1 found dead) a few swallows, white wagtails, a house martin a serin and a few wheatears in the UK but they are all in the southeast/ southwest, except for the Great White Egret in Cumbria, so for rarities this weekend i feel you maybe in the wrong place and Cornwall/Devon is the place to be for rarities dependant on the weather Patterns for the weekend

Good hunting anyway!

Rgds

Paul

Spring migration is under way down here and guess what I am doing tomorrow, yup, looking for the last of the wintering birds!

IanF said:
Yep! You've got it sussed - you get more access and better viewing if you're a member and logged in.

Hi Ian,
That would be alright but, because these addies come between the text that I have written and my signature block, it looks as if I have put the addies there. If they came after my signature block and therefore not part of what I have written then fine or maybe at the bottom of the page/screen.

Anyway, back to the thread. I suppose the thing to do now is what and see what the next few days, into next week bring. I'm waiting..............

Doubt there's much chance of a rarity but things are starting to move. I'm seeing Oystercatcher and small numbers of Greylags on the move as well as small flocks of Fieldfare / Redwing / Starling over here in SW Norway.

Hi Valley Boy,
I was using the phrase about waiting in a metaphorical way. I am actually waiting in the field!! |^|

From my experience down here in the south-west, it's all about temperature, which of course is influnced by the source of the airstream. Easterlies are great if they are bringing in air that's being drawn up from further south, but that isn't the case just now. Look for a cell of warm air then you can expect a flush of migrants.

Cold East Wind

A Night Heron was seen in Plymouth yesterday and its cold and a east wind here so u just cant tell.

The Night Herons, together with a few common migrants, came in during a very brief "window of opportunity" when it blew southerly for a few hours.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back