• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Driver for trip to Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

we are planning a trip to Ethiopia with 4 people this winter. Can anyone suggest a reliable company for renting a car with driver? We don't need/want a guide, but would prefer a driver who has driven birders before, knows their "demands" and maybe the sites as well.

Thanks a lot,

Felix

Hi all,

we are planning a trip to Ethiopia with 4 people this winter. Can anyone suggest a reliable company for renting a car with driver? We don't need/want a guide, but would prefer a driver who has driven birders before, knows their "demands" and maybe the sites as well.

Thanks a lot,

Felix

Ethiopian Quadrants,run by a long-time resident in Addis,Tony Hickey,does the ground arrangements for many of the well-known bird tour companies,so knows all about what birders want,but he also runs a general travel agency.I can highly recommend him and I am sure he has reliable drivers some of whom may well know some of the sites.However he also has driver/guides on his books and in my view, with four of you sharing the cost, to get the most out of the trip you should bite the bullet and accept some birding help. On a recent private visit in spite of being armed with the two current bird-finding guides and several trip reports we would have missed some of the endemics without local knowledge. We used Abiy Dagne, who was a superb birder,took us to several sites not in the literature, but also drove the vehicle himself and even cooked breakfast for us when we were out in the field before dawn.
Tom Lawson.

Can I just second everything Tom has said.

Ethiopian Quadrants were brilliant and Abiy was/still is a fantastic guide and birder - and probably as important, he is a great person to be with, so no friction/problems at all thoughout our trip.

Its a fantastic country and you will have a great time

I did a 3 week birding trip this autumn organised trough Nurgi Birding Ethiopia. Our driver was Mesfin and I can recommend him 100%. Not a bird guide, he knew all the sites for the most important targets, had contacts at every site, joined us for birding all the time and handled food/accomodation during the trip.

Hi, kfjachmann. I sent you a PM, maybe you've seen it? Included some stuff on Nurgi and the excellent driver he provided for us in 2010... Includes an email address.
Cheers,
Andy.

Hi Andy,

I did get your stuff. Thanks a lot, it was very helpful. Unfortunately we still have not received an answer from Nurgi.

Cheers,

Felix

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back