• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shoot-out with the 8400,A640 and 4500 (1 Viewer)

Yeah the New Canon has it aswell but with LiveView you can only use
Manual Focus ... Which make's sense i guess,
Nice Picture's Neil ... You seem to have some nice Light there where you live,

I've been saving up for a DSLR and was thinking of going with a Canon. I don't have the savings for a high end lens like a Canon EF 300mm F2.8 L IS USM but can always get the DSLR for general photography and one day get a HQ lens for bird photos. I know people get great photos with much lower cost lenses but I don't want to buy something and then want something better. Same goes with the DSLR as well.

I was thinking maybe I could rent a DSLR first before making the big purchase and try it out for a week where I have time off to photo all week long.

I'm happy digiscoping and can use my spare CP8400 for general photography. I'll keep saving up and who knows what will be out when I decide to purchase.

Thanks,

Hi Neil,

The tailor made sliding adapter you mentioned above. It sounds like it will be a movable adapter to change the distance between the camera and eyepiece that can be locked down? Are you going to use some of the parts from the DCA?

I'm thinking of placing a red dot sight where the hot shoe adapter is on my CP 8400. I was thinking of tapping/drilling a screw hole into the small plastic hot shoe cover so I can connect something that the red dot sight will mount to. Maybe wood would do the trick, I'm not too sure. Would be nice to have a company build the mounting adapter if I can't build one.

See ya,

Yellowbudgie, I hope you try the red dot befor you buy it, For me being somewhat colour blind it was absolutely useless, could not see the dot out in the sun, I have fitted a sighting scope instead. Ernie

Yellowbudgie, I hope you try the red dot befor you buy it, For me being somewhat colour blind it was absolutely useless, could not see the dot out in the sun, I have fitted a sighting scope instead. Ernie

Hi Ernie,

I had the chance to use one on a rented gun inside a firing range and could see the dot well but I have never used one outside.

I was thinking of buying a low cost one made for airsoft guns that fire these plastic bb's. A red dot sight for a airsoft gun would not have to hold up to the stress and strain from a real firearm.

I don't expect much from such a low cost sight but it may give me an idea if I can use one and how to mount a better one in the future on the camera. Who knows maybe it would work out okay. I think they even sell a low cost one at a local chain of stores. I had asked but they didn't have one in stock at the time.

Thanks!

Mounting a red dot sight on a CP8400

Hi Yellowbudgie:

I have a CP 8400 on which I have mounted a red dot sight using the hot shoe fixture. I bought something called an Xtend-a-Sight (Its' a sight base actually) and I also bought a bounce shoe, all of this from Photosolve in Tulsa, OK, USA. the bounce shoe fits in the hot shoe fixture and will hold the Xtend-a-Sight base. The bounce shoe is also adjustable left and right and up and down. Once you have these two items mounted on your CP8400, all you have to do is slide the red dot base onto to Xtend-a-Sight base and you are in business. The Xtend-a-Sight should work with either the 3/8" or 7/8" size base. Let me know how everything works out. Try this link. http://www.photosolve.com

Robert

Last edited:
Hello Budgie,

DSLR's ... You don't see a picture on the LCD until the picture is taken,
They are'nt like Compact's where you see the picture on the LCD then
press the shutter ... On a DSLR you can only see through the ViewFinder,
The LCD only give's you Info on the setting's ... The only Time you see
a picture on it is after you have taken a Photo,
Hope your well,
Take care,
John,

True but working with the through the lens viewfinder has its advantages. On a good DSLR, you get a 100% image (or very close to) and very good image quality, you can correct for your vision (usually +/- 1.5), you can focus very accurately and sunlight is no problem.

Hi Yellowbudgie:

I have a CP 8400 on which I have mounted a red dot sight using the hot shoe fixture. I bought something called an Xtend-a-Sight (Its' a sight base actually) and I also bought a bounce shoe, all of this from Photosolve in Tulsa, OK, USA. the bounce shoe fits in the hot shoe fixture and will hold the Xtend-a-Sight base. The bounce shoe is also adjustable left and right and up and down. Once you have these two items mounted on your CP8400, all you have to do is slide the red dot base onto to Xtend-a-Sight base and you are in business. The Xtend-a-Sight should work with either the 3/8" or 7/8" size base. Let me know how everything works out. Try this link. http://www.photosolve.com

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thats great. I'm glad you found out how to mount it with off the shelf parts. Is your red dot sight the type that's made to mount on a weaver rail?

I did pick up a very cheap red dot sight for a daisy air rifle, air pistol, etc... It's a dovetail mount (not a standard for most sights). I was only $8.00. I'll know if I can see the dot okay in the sunlight. It may not mount well because of its design but no big loss.

Thanks!

Hi Yellowbudgie:

Robert

True but working with the through the lens viewfinder has its advantages. On a good DSLR, you get a 100% image (or very close to) and very good image quality, you can correct for your vision (usually +/- 1.5), you can focus very accurately and sunlight is no problem.

Yesterday I was shooting on my back up at some birds in flight with my cp 8400 via the viewfinder to get a profile ID shot to ask what they were. It was much easier than the lcd. I think I'll love using a dslr when the time comes to get one.

Thanks,

Hi YellowBudgie:

The sight I use is one sold for use on a Daisy air rifle. Works pretty good as as a finder scope. I have no problem seening it in the sunlight. This one is designed for a use on the Weaver type mounts. It will make things a lot easier locating your target. If I can get it to work I will attach an image of my digiscoping rig.

Have fun!

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thats great. I'm glad you found out how to mount it with off the shelf parts. Is your red dot sight the type that's made to mount on a weaver rail?

I did pick up a very cheap red dot sight for a daisy air rifle, air pistol, etc... It's a dovetail mount (not a standard for most sights). I was only $8.00. I'll know if I can see the dot okay in the sunlight. It may not mount well because of its design but no big loss.

Thanks!

Digiscoping rig

Hi YellowBudgie:

My second attenpt to up load a thumbnail of my digiscoping rig.

Robert

Attachments

• Digscope rig.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 117
Hi YellowBudgie:

My second attenpt to up load a thumbnail of my digiscoping rig.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting the photo, it looks like the same daisy red dot I purchased.

I've spent the weekends over the winter digiscoping our feeder tree birds. I've been able to get better at getting a bird in the frame but tend to use background landmarks which only help at our tree. Like, go up the telephone pole to the bottom wire and pan right so far. When I try to use only branches as reference points I get lost. Even if the branch is at an odd angle it's hard for me to find in the scope.

The red dot must really help get on the bird much quicker and give you more time to concentrate on taking a photo.

When you have the red dot sighted in good can you go from the red dot to the scope's view and see the bird, assuming no zoom on the camera?

Thanks!!!

Hi Yellowbudgie:

Robert

Hi Robert,

Where did you find the extentsion that you have clamped onto your balance rail? Looks like it would be handy to have the red dot sight on this mount if bird watching without the camera.

Thanks!

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting the photo, it looks like the same daisy red dot I purchased.

I've spent the weekends over the winter digiscoping our feeder tree birds. I've been able to get better at getting a bird in the frame but tend to use background landmarks which only help at our tree. Like, go up the telephone pole to the bottom wire and pan right so far. When I try to use only branches as reference points I get lost. Even if the branch is at an odd angle it's hard for me to find in the scope.

The red dot must really help get on the bird much quicker and give you more time to concentrate on taking a photo.

When you have the red dot sighted in good can you go from the red dot to the scope's view and see the bird, assuming no zoom on the camera?

Thanks!!!

Hi YellowBudgie:

I will try to answer your questions from both of your last posts in this email. You can easily get on target with your scope if you get on target with the red dot and it is sighted in on the same plane as your scope. When I set up with my scope, camera and sight, I then make sure that my scope and sight are looking at the same thing, say some object 75 or 100 yards away. You have to do this each time you set up. If you use the red dot with the CP 8400 and the bounce light attachment attached to the camera's hot shoe, you will be looking almost directly down the center of the scope, so that should make everything work together.

I made the bracket you see me using in the picture of my rig from 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock. You can find it at most any home improvement supply place such as Home Depot, etc. The hot shoe attachment came from a hot shoe made for use with a PC. I believe it's used to control the flash in studio photography. I dismantled the hot shoe and mounted the shoe attachment on the piece of bar stock using the screws from the PC hot shoe. I drilled the holes using a 1/16" drill in a Dremel tool mounted in a Dremel drill press. I managed to get the screws to self tap themselves.

I have modified my bracket some since the picture. The red dot is closer to the center of the scope now. The closer to the center of the spotting scope you are the better. Looks somewhat like a pretzel now but it works!

Hope this helps.

Have fun!

Robert

Hi YellowBudgie:

I will try to answer your questions from both of your last posts in this email. You can easily get on target with your scope if you get on target with the red dot and it is sighted in on the same plane as your scope. When I set up with my scope, camera and sight, I then make sure that my scope and sight are looking at the same thing, say some object 75 or 100 yards away. You have to do this each time you set up. If you use the red dot with the CP 8400 and the bounce light attachment attached to the camera's hot shoe, you will be looking almost directly down the center of the scope, so that should make everything work together.

I made the bracket you see me using in the picture of my rig from 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock. You can find it at most any home improvement supply place such as Home Depot, etc. The hot shoe attachment came from a hot shoe made for use with a PC. I believe it's used to control the flash in studio photography. I dismantled the hot shoe and mounted the shoe attachment on the piece of bar stock using the screws from the PC hot shoe. I drilled the holes using a 1/16" drill in a Dremel tool mounted in a Dremel drill press. I managed to get the screws to self tap themselves.

I have modified my bracket some since the picture. The red dot is closer to the center of the scope now. The closer to the center of the spotting scope you are the better. Looks somewhat like a pretzel now but it works!

Hope this helps.

Have fun!

Robert

Hi Robert,

I did put in the order for the 2 parts to mount the red dot. I'm not a great do it yourselfer so building my own mount may not work out so great. Maybe I can find a extention from one of the companies that carry unique mounts.

I found a few companies that produce extentions.

Custom Brackets:

http://www.custombrackets.com/Scripts/default.asp

StroboFrame (On Adorama)

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?...g&cat2=Flash Accessories&cat3=Camera Brackets

See ya,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back