• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl superbrood (1 Viewer)

I was surprised that what qualifies as a "superbrood" in Ireland is five chicks. I was expecting a much higher number, like 12 or more. I have seen numerous broods of five chicks in Pennsylvania. The largest clutch of eggs that I have seen was nine, with seven chicks successfully fledging.

I was surprised that what qualifies as a "superbrood" in Ireland is five chicks. I was expecting a much higher number, like 12 or more. I have seen numerous broods of five chicks in Pennsylvania. The largest clutch of eggs that I have seen was nine, with seven chicks successfully fledging.

Of Barn Owls?

A

Yes, I suppose Barn Owls (like all owls?) attempt to raise as many young as they think that they can support. Apparently it is harder for them to feed their young in Ireland than it is an Pennsylvania farm country.

Cornell lists the clutch size at 2-18 eggs. That upper range seems a bit extreme. For a Barn Owl to lay 18 eggs, they would have to keep laying practically until their first laid eggs started hatching.

I would view 5 as a normal brood size too, even if fledging five is at the upper end of normal in this part of Scotland. My site in good habitat manages this frequently.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back