• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ebro, Belchite/Monegros & Pyrenees (2 Viewers)

rob lee

Hi all
Will be travelling through the above mentioned areas in a couple of weeks time & wondered if anybody has any up to date info on the likes of Wallcreeper at Gabardito, visible Duponts Lark, B.S.Kite, Moustached Warbler, Lesser crested Tern etc.

Thanks, Rob

I'll be visiting Belchite primarily for Dupont's on 9&10 May, so can let you know what I see then. I think Moustached Warbler is always avaliable in the Ebro delta, certainly I've seen them in December and March visits.

John

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=250542

And here is my trip report from last October but with some extra info from May last year. Some of the pictures are of landmarks.

Duponts should be fairly easy at El Planeron - at least to hear them - and whilst we had one at Lomaza i wouldn't bother unless i was passing! At El Planeron take the second left if you have come from Belchite end. Keep driving until you pass a track to the left that has the lagoon. The road drops down a little and then on the right there is a small track with a parking area. This 'car park' produced Duponts in both April and October at very close range. The other place I scored was by taking the track towards the lagoon. After about 100m got a caller off the track to the right - again in both April and October. He was a little further away but still visible. I would recommend staying in the car and using it as a mobile hide - if you're walking around they can see you!

As for the Ebro i got Moustached Warbler from one of the birdwatching towers near Poble Nou. May could be a little late for calling Moustached but they are certainly there!

thanks everyone for your replies & trip links. Info will be digested. Will be interested in your update when you get back Walshey.
I`ve sent you an email Stephen.

El Planeron 10/5

Visited yestoday. Duponts fairly easy, in locations detailed by rosbifs. Was able to get out and scope plus video from 'car park' area. Other birds included both Sandgrouse, 5 other larks and a few migrants around the lagoon (rained overnight). Chough, Lesser Kestrel and Tawny Pipit around other parts of the reserve. It was a bit gloomy first thing and the Duponts didnt start up till about 8.

John

Thanks for the update John. I like the sound of fairly easy, as opposed to nigh on impossible. Should be on site Friday morning, cant wait.

I would agree that it's not too difficult. But to do the area justice don't rush it. Getting around, from Planeron to Ballobar for example, takes an age.

Good luck and look forward to your trip notes....

Sorry for the extremely late posting, but my colleague has now finished his report of our trip back in May, link here. http://www.gobirding.eu/Trips/NESpain.php
Unfortunately the trip coincided with an extremely vigorous low pressure system that extended its influence all the way from the U.K, through western France & down into the western Pyrenees, hence the poor weather we encountered there. Otherwise a fantastic break.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back