• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Status of the Plain Swift in Morocco (1 Viewer)

bluechaffinch

I wonder if anyone can help?

I am researching the status of the Plain Swift in north-west Africa (I am hoping to undertake a study of winter movements of this species) and, amongst the reports of observations in winter, have read some intriguing hints that there may be a breeding population in Morocco. Anyone have any further information on this please?

Many thanks in advance,

Tristan

Tristan,

The status of Plain Swift in Morocco has been uncertain because of the problem of correct identification. However, recent observations (with photographic evidence) showed that the species do occur in Morocco. As to breeding, the picture is much more unclear; there is an interesting observation reported in the 16th report of the MRBC that may indicate breeding (I guess you have read this as well).

Bergier, P.; Franchimont, J.; Thévenot, M. et CHM. 2011. Les oiseaux rares au Maroc. Rapport de la Commission d'Homologation Marocaine numéro 16. Go-South Bull. 8 : 1-20. PDF

Mohamed,

Many thanks for your reply and the link - I had not actually found this reference. Very interesting observations! I am in the process of setting up an expedition to fit a sample of Canarian Plain swifts with geolocators - it is in the early stages but I hope that this project may assist in helping us understand this species a little more.

Thanks once again,

Tristan

Plain Swift in the Cape Verde Islands

I am in the process of setting up an expedition to fit a sample of Canarian Plain swifts with geolocators - it is in the early stages but I hope that this project may assist in helping us understand this species a little more.

Are there any results from this project? Or they are not yet ready.

I came across this recent report where there is an interesting record of 5 birds (photos included). They were accepted as Plain swift Apus cf.unicolor (opinions on the ID is divergent). It may be of interest to you and others.

Hazevoet C.J. 2014. Eighth report on birds from the Cape Verde Islands, including records of nine taxa new to the archipelago. Zoologia Caboverdiana 5 (1): 29-56.
PDF

Mohamed, many thanks.

Apologies for very long time in replying...

Our results show something very unexpected. The birds went east then a very long way south. All I can say for now until I finally get round to writing up...

Mohamed, many thanks.

Apologies for very long time in replying...

Our results show something very unexpected. The birds went east then a very long way south. All I can say for now until I finally get round to writing up...

Interesting - any idea when the results will be written up?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back