• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift flying low please advise (2 Viewers)

Ronli

South Africa
Good day to all, a neighbor brought a Swift to me that a cat had caught (I've raised and released baby swifts succesfully, I haven't dealt with adult injured ones though). It does not appear to have any visible injuries and is fairly receptive. However, it can't fly high. It can fly but only a meter or so off the ground then flies straight only. It did take off from my hand, not the ground. Should I try again maybe holding my hand higher? It flew into the wall (not hard luckily and I was right there) the first time as could only fly low so I don't know if it's injured or I need to raise it higher, I don't want to risk more injury. I've tried Google for more information but can't find anything useful. Is there anyone on here who may know why it can't fly higher and what I can do it help it, or if it can be helped? I am in South Africa, Eastern Cape, it seems a bit early for Swifts to be here? So if anyone has more information on that as well, please share.

Good day to all, a neighbor brought a Swift to me that a cat had caught (I've raised and released baby swifts succesfully, I haven't dealt with adult injured ones though). It does not appear to have any visible injuries and is fairly receptive. However, it can't fly high. It can fly but only a meter or so off the ground then flies straight only. It did take off from my hand, not the ground. Should I try again maybe holding my hand higher? It flew into the wall (not hard luckily and I was right there) the first time as could only fly low so I don't know if it's injured or I need to raise it higher, I don't want to risk more injury. I've tried Google for more information but can't find anything useful. Is there anyone on here who may know why it can't fly higher and what I can do it help it, or if it can be helped? I am in South Africa, Eastern Cape, it seems a bit early for Swifts to be here? So if anyone has more information on that as well, please share.
The Swift has successfully flown off. I think she just needed a bit more rest and warmth. I checked her wings and they seemed fine, in line with each other, no hanging etc. So after a bit more time spent on the heating pad, she got restless again, and I took her outside again, and she took off high this time. I watched for as long as she was visible, she flew far and seemed calm and able. If anyone does have some insight however on this, I'd still love to read your knowledge shared please.

Hola Ronli! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators (y)

Good to know that the swift recovered and is now flying around.

Hi Ronli and a warm welcome from me too. He obviously needed rest and recuperation. I'm so pleased to hear he got that with you and is now flying free again.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back