• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 170-500mm APO autofocus (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

Does anyone know if this lense will run on the EOS 350D or 300D?
I read that some sigma lenses do not run on some DSLR's without rechipping and that depends on availability of spares.
Has anyone used these two together?

Doug, I believe it's the older lenses that may need rechipping. The newer ones should work OK. I have had two Sigma lenses, both recently bought with my 10D, and they have been fine.

If you are buying the 170-500 brand new you should be OK - This lens and the 135-400 are in fact an old design and the supplier may of had them sitting on the shelf awhile. You should aways check with the supplier before you purchase. When purchased alot of folk had to have them re-chipped but Sigma did this for free. If you are buying it second hand and the lens is older than 18 months old I would ask for proof that it works OK on the new models. If the lens need re-chipping it will give a camera error when used stopped down. It may work OK wide open.

This info I picked up from various forums - this is why you see alot of Sigma on ebay which are only a few years old becuase the guy has just bought a new camera. Some of the sellers come clean and tell you it won't work on certain digital models others don't so buyer beware.

The new EX range should be OK with new digital camera - but because Sigma use reverse engineering to workout the lens mount info and have not been given the info by canon directly you will always run the risk of Sigma lens not working on newer models.

Robert

Last edited:
I got a good deal on a used one for my 300d. It is an older one, but I sent it to Sigma and they rechipped it for free. Very painless. I only got it because it was the best deal I found. And was figuring even if they charged me some it would still be a good thing. It took less than a week to get it back.

I was thinking of getting one for my Pentax *ist DS and wondering the same thing.

Did you end up getting it? If so is it a nice lens?

Henry B said:
Same question different lens. Would my Sigma APO macro super 2 . 70-300mm work with the 350d? thanks..

i think that I'm right in saying that this lens whould work fine with a 350D - I think that the earlier versions of this lens would need 'chipping', but the super 2 should work fine. If in doubt contact Sigma, they can confirm either way from the serial number of the lens.

i rang Sigma recently to see if a 135-400mm APO would fit my D70. The answer was yes and he went on to say that all the new lenses will fit digital its the older sigma's you have to look out for. He said if they did not fit then we would be out of business in a week!

The ones to be wary of are the old prime lenses. I had a 400mm prime Sigma which worked fine on a Canon D30 but not on a 10D [except at max.aperture]and because of it's age it could no longer be re-chipped. Anything bought new will work - if it's really old stock and does'nt a reputable firm will exchange/refund.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back