• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help me choose a rucksack for a 500mm f4 + body? (1 Viewer)

Boue

Hello,

I've finally bought a Nikon 500mm f4, and now need something to carry it around in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would like a rucksack as I will be walking with it, including scrambling up and down sea cliffs, and therefore need hands free.
If possible I'd like to keep my D200 & TC attached, but this isn't absolutely necessary. A certain amount of weatherproof-ness would also be good too as I'm sometimes up to an hour or more from the car.

I've logically been looking at the Lowepro range, but aren't sure which one will fit my camera/lens.
Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a camera shop which stocks these bags to try them out, so I'm therefore reliant on the advice of the good people of this forum to help me make my decision. :h?:

I look forward to your advice and experiences.

Regards

Tim

On ebay a few years ago I bought something called the "Scopepack" by Better Birder of Seattle. It works well for the kind of purpose you describe. I don't know if these are made anymore, but there undoubtedly are other products that are similar to this.

Bought a Lowepro Photo Trekker II AW off ebay and whilst is primarily designed for what you have in mind I an using it to carry 2 bodies with smaller lenses 300/4 + 1.4 and a 70-200, plus flash, exstn tubes a 2 x etc. Fully loaded its quite sizable but its very comfortable to carry once you've adjusted it to fit.
My plan is that when I get financial approval for a 500 / 600mm lens I can carry it in the same bag
have a look at the lowepro website it shows the bag with a large lens mounted in the centre.
Steve

Duke Leto said:
Bought a Lowepro Photo Trekker II AW off ebay and whilst is primarily designed for what you have in mind I an using it to carry 2 bodies with smaller lenses 300/4 + 1.4 and a 70-200, plus flash, exstn tubes a 2 x etc. Fully loaded its quite sizable but its very comfortable to carry once you've adjusted it to fit.
My plan is that when I get financial approval for a 500 / 600mm lens I can carry it in the same bag
have a look at the lowepro website it shows the bag with a large lens mounted in the centre.
Steve

Agree with you on this being an excellent rucksack,particurly impressed by the padding strips that allow you to configure the compartment to your own requirements.You also get a detachable day bag.

Thank you , I'll have another look at the Trecker AW.
These packs have plenty of volume, I was wasn't sure about the length though for a big lens.
The descriptions on the Lowepro site talk about fitting up to a a 400mm f/2.8. I guess this is slightly shorter than a 500 f4.

Has anyone used a Lens Trecker from Lowepro?

Thanks

Tim

Boue said:
These packs have plenty of volume, I was wasn't sure about the length though for a big lens.
The descriptions on the Lowepro site talk about fitting up to a a 400mm f/2.8. I guess this is slightly shorter than a 500 f4.

Has anyone used a Lens Trecker from Lowepro?

Thanks

Tim
I use the Lenstrekker AW600, have done for a few years. No real problems, holds a 600/4 with hood reversed with a pro body and 1.4x tc attached (with a squezze). See here http://www.digiscoped.com/lowepro.html
Not much room for anything else...which is how I like it, I hate carrying surplus. You can stuff a few bits and bobs around the lens, and there's a front pouch... but no chance of a spare body or anything but a small lens extra. Obviously, being lowepro, you can add a variety of extra to it.

It's comfortable enough, the backpack harness is comprehensive.

There's some more capacious big lens luggage from the U.S. Kinesis springs to mind.

cheers,
Andy

Agree with Andy - if you want to carry your lens mounted to the camera then the Lowepro Lenstrekker 600AW is the only way to go. It is a complex piece of kit; I would never have thought that a "rucksack" would need an instruction manual! The ability to move the sack body on the harness is very useful, but I gave up with all the other accessories. I did actually try it with the tripod holder attached plus my 'frotto 055 and it took my wife a good ten minutes to get me released from the system after I had fallen to the floor! Wing mirrors would also be a useful addition since it is rather difficult turning round with the thing on your back.

Colin

;)

Boue said:

I use a photo trekker, it takes my Sigma 500 f4.5, with 1.4x tc and body attached...but it is a tight fit. I reckon it might well be just too small for what you want. I am very happy with it though and if I ever needed a larger bag I'd look at other Lowepro bags, they are amazingly comfortable to carry, even when fully loaded.

I have the Lowepro AW600, which is ideal, it has enough pockets in for all the smaller stuff, plus a waterproof cover. Supports your back while being carried around. Tripods and accessories clips as well.

Better a late reply than never...lol. I too have the above bag for my canon 500 F4 which fits in no probs with the lens hood reversed and my 30D attached,theres even a bit of space left above the camera for my bean bag. I carry my gitzo 1325 on one side of the bag and my wimberley head on the other which balances things up pretty good. Santa is bringing me a case to attach to the side of the bag for my 100-400. I can comfortably walk miles with it and it has loads of adjustments available for a personalized snug fit as others have mentioned above. Could possibly do with one or two more small pockets if i'm really nitpicking but other than that its absolutely perfect for the job and i'm sure you'll be more than happy with your new purchase.

Regards
Rick

I've used a 600mm Nikon IFED for the past 15 years and found the fancy packs are too slow to use. I use a 40 litre standard mucky green comfy mountain sac. Line it with Karrimat (4 season) material rolled into a tube and sealed with more karrimat at the bottom. My scrim hide/beanbag seat(Logun field target shooting seat) goes as padding around this. To get at the camera it's a matter of seconds to undo the qr buckles of the sac lid and pull the camera out. This coupled with a Manfrotto qr attachment for my 055 tripod/fluid head means I can keep the camera safe and dry but be in action in seconds, including being seated and in a hide!!. Side pockets keep the other lenses/bits in and most importantly the whole set up looks like a regular rucksack, not a stealable high end camera kit costing over £10000. Must get round to selling the Lowepro!
The sac also sits upright in the passenger well of the 4x4 when I'm using it as a hide and the beanbag for putting on the window edge lives in the sac top pocket.
Having said all this, a mate of mine who bought a high camera system also bought a Lowepro. When I asked him why, he very truthfully said that he had spent so much money he wanted other to know about it!!!!! He later sold the Lowepro on E-bay!!!

Den said:
I've used a 600mm Nikon IFED for the past 15 years and found the fancy packs are too slow to use.

I'm just curious as to what you mean by the fancy packs being too slow... I use a Lowepro bag and can get it off my bag and get the camera out in seconds... How is such a bag any 'slower' than another type of rucsack?

I know it too late in this instance, but another back pack to consider is the Kata BP502, its a large bag, which takes my 500 mm f4, with 2x extender and 1D Mk2 body attached, plus another couple of lenses, flashgun etc. The large lens and camera combination can be removed through a top opening flap, without having to open up the complete bag.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=260&cid=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

Its a bit expensive, but you'll also get the kitchen sink in, complete with taps and plug.

Regards
Dave

Dave Adshead said:
I know it too late in this instance, but another back pack to consider is the Kata BP502, its a large bag, which takes my 500 mm f4, with 2x extender and 1D Mk2 body attached, plus another couple of lenses, flashgun etc. The large lens and camera combination can be removed through a top opening flap, without having to open up the complete bag.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=260&cid=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

Its a bit expensive, but you'll also get the kitchen sink in, complete with taps and plug.

Regards
Dave

Does anybody have any recent experience of getting either the Lowepro or Kata bags as carry-on luggage past the zealots on security at UK airports? I was at Gatwick last night and noticed three different instructions on the acceptable dimensions for what can be taken into the cabin (the largest of which was 56x45x25cm)!

Cheers, Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back