• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Audobon 8x45 820 non ED Porro compared to ZEN ED 8x43 (1 Viewer)

How optically does the ZEN ED 8x43 compare to the non ED Swift Audobon 8.5x44 820?

They are similar.The 820 Shows more chromatic aberration,But only in the outer edge,and can not be considerer an annoyance..They(Swift)have a massive FOV,but Eye relief is shorter...8.5 X gives them a little edge in resolution and they are SUPER sharp...the Zen 8X is also SUPER sharp,And shows less edge distortion/field curvature,but the audubon True field of View is panoramic.
The swift is not entirely waterproof,although,if not inmersed of flushed under the faucet,should be entirely weatherproof..But the Zen is going to be a little more Rugged
The swift manages glare a little better,and although can catch internal reflections too,Is not AS prone to do as the Zen ..They are both excellent binoculars for the price,You can probably get the 820 for 100$ less that the Zen.Either one is an excellent choice as a workhorse

Thanks so much for the feedback.
Since they are quite similar optically, with each having their strong points, have decided to go with the Zen since they will be out in the field virtually everyday as I hike and bird in mostly rough terrain. Hence, I opted for the more rugged/durable of the two optically advanced "work horses." Sure would have loved to experience the awesome panoramic view of the 820, though.
Also, in making the decision, I found Zen-Ray's customer service to be extraordinary and more responsive and helpful than Swift's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back