• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Scope Recommendations (1 Viewer)

humakt

I have a small Praktica spotting scope set up in the study, pointed at the feeders, that I take an odd peek through if something interesting comes by whilst sitting there doing my work.
It's one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Praktica-B00513-Waterproof-15-45x60-Spotting/dp/B0039483QC

Yeah, I know it doesn't set the word alight. But for what it's used for, and for how much it cost me, it's great.
But.
As anyone who's used one will know, the focus ring is intolerably stiff. I thought it would loosen with use.
It doesn't.

So, my question - can anyone recommend a similar alternative?
I want it about the same physical size, but I realise it may have to be a little bigger. I want it to have a 60mm lens. The zoom range on the Praktica is about right - 15-45X. I don't mind if the zoom range is a little lower but any higher would be pointless. But I do want it to have a zoom and not fixed.
I'd be willing to spend up to about £200.

Any recommendations?

Or does anyone who have one of these know how to properly loosen that bloody focus ring? I'd be willing to have a go at taking it apart since there's nothing to lose - I've enjoyed this scope but I've reached the end of my tether. I'm a little dumbfounded they even put it on market that stiff (I've seen many similar complaints) because otherwise it's a cracking little scope and I'd recommend it anyone. So I don't mind killing it in an effort to fix it.

Cheers

humakt,

I have seen this scope under a couple of different brand names. A simple search on Amazon with those specific specs will usually turn them up. To my knowledge it is the only design that is this compact so I am not sure if you will find another scope similar to this that is not just a re-branded version of the same design.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back